Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 C/Altered Beetle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Algon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Can't wait to see that thing run! Exellent thread here !

Hope to see you at thomson, norwalk, 42 this summer. I have some really nice old fiberglass extra wide fenders for early beetle. Super heavy duty with big old flares.

Pm me if anybody needs them.

2. Algon

Algon

Thanks, I'll be at Thompson for the Gas meets, probably 42 a few times at least as a spectator if nothing else.

I've been hunting a butterfly wheel with little luck in finding something I like so I made this one. You can add indexing the second bend on a butterfly wheel to the list of things, that make the phone ring and the wife knock on the garage door...:cool: I made it fit the Algon block off plate I have since I no longer need it for its actual purpose. I intend to add grip handles but it has a good feel to it as is.

Attached Files:

3. Algon

Algon

Some more small stuff, roughing in the pedal arms and pads, welding the gauge pod mounting cups, aswell as shaping up the plugs to mold the hand grips for the butterfly wheel and chute lever...

There is also the new oil pickup I made to replace the first, though the first would have be fine in most cases, I was concerned about the chance of it catching air on a hard launch, with some baffles in the pan and this pickup it shouldn't be a problem.

Before making the steering wheel I had planned to use Algon plates as pedal pads. Other than being sort of a waste letting a rare item wear away as pedal pad, after making the wheel, cool as they looked; the product was too decorated and bulky in appearance so I started on the smaller ones.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5. Best Bug ever.

6. lorodz

lorodz

7. motorhead711

motorhead711

Dig the name on that car man!!

8. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

can't remember the name of the company but i have bought fiberglass doors ,hood ,decklid etc,
    i have seen 289/302 blocks split at less than 500 HP i'd add the girdles to block

9. Craig_10

Craig_10

I have to say I had wondered about ever making a beetle work as an altered or a gasser and had never figured how it would work, but you certainly have been able to make it work!

VERY COOL!

10. dragfanatic

dragfanatic

Hello fellow H.A.M.B.ers,
    I've been following this thread about the Volkswagens - very cool. I was wondering if anyone has any chassis photos or construction photos of the last version of the Chevwagon. If so, could you PLEASE post them or contact me off-group.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim Chessel
    timmerr51@aol.com

11. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Some VW guy is shartin his pants over cutting that oval window body:D

12. Craig_10

Craig_10

13. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

This cool. I've been kickin' around the idea of building a v-dub gasser style. Not really a strip car but more of a '60s show car with a blown early Pontiac V8. It would be driven though.

14. Algon

Algon

Thanks for all the posts,

I'm still working on it just nothing much to look at. I got some very nice slicks from Hurst, got fucked by Joe Hunt on the magneto http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346010 but its still coming along.

This is one of those simple but never ending projects. I'm trying to finish all the plumbing on the injection and see how far I can get before the snow flies again.

Attached Files:

15. Tarlo

Tarlo

16. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Great, i love how is coming along.
    The engine w/ gold block and those loooong inj. stacks
    is tits! Would love to listen to it.
    I think magnesium americans and spindle mount will be a lot better than slots,
    and im a fan of slots on this type o'car. pie crust slicks w/ thin white band look so good too.
    These here are a couple of cars from the Oddball Gasser thread,
    theyre australian, or at least Satans Chariot and Prickly Hest are,
    the b/w callejo pic aint sure, but i suppose its US.
    Theres another HAMBer that has a lot of info on them oz bugs, only
    i dont remember his name...if you wanna know more about'em lemme
    know and i'll digg throug my posts to find his answer.
    But i kinda have the impression that those are just a few years over
    your preferred time span.
    bonez

Attached Files:

17. Algon

Algon

Tarlo,

That would be cool, good luck with the project it sounds slick to me.

Bonez,

The Prickly Hest car is awesome and looks about as close to what I've seen to what mine will look like in stance, chop etc. I'm into almost anything fast if you would, post them here or in the other thread. My car itself is a bit newer in build than I would have liked, but I wanted it to match. I started with the Algon, the leftover 289, the Beetle body shells and went from there. An earlier style build would have been out of place with the parts I had and those I wanted to use on it that I have now. A 59-61 era car would be awesome, and fitting with wide whites. I wish I had finished the 57 rag I had, I was going to steal the 371 out of my Dynamic 88 I had then and bolt a 6-71 to it.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Keep up the good work!

19. Algon

Algon

I could not find a place using the exact brass couplers on the Algon's fuel lines originally. I did however find a few dated photos of Algon's with hard lines so I went that route. I have to thank Vintage Gasser for selling me a good wide pattern Algon barrel valve. The small amount of difference between it and the one I had becomes a big deal on the narrow width and evenly spaced ports of the Ford intake.

Attached Files:

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

21. Nah! We´re generally a lot less touchy than people give us credit for.

22. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

hey brutha. just checkin in to see how my favorite V8 Beetle Altered is comin along. :)

23. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

does the height of the tubes effect anything ?

24. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann
    from Byron, IL

This car is nothin but craftsmanship and bad ass, gadgety speed equipment. When you get this thing together and I get the motor rebuilt in my Abomination, we gotta line em up so you can spank my ass! haha

25. Algon

Algon

That thing, I traded it for a sewing machine.... sic, anyway I'm working on other people's cars again. I'm going to submit an ad to the Hamb -o-dex so if you have use for any of the stuff I do give me a shout.

I just want to say thanks for the interest in my pile of crap here. I'm still amazed the thread made it past the first day without being closed...:D Whenever it is running I'll except any challenger... I'm still working on it almost daily in some way.

Little Wing, stacks can make a huge difference. A good way to look at it is similar to a custom header, it needs to match the engine in order for it the breath properly. The old rule of thumb is that a taller stack makes more torque and shorter ones more horsepower although there more to it than that. I get alot of interest on my stacks being so tall but they are correct for my combination. The right header with the right stack is part of the black magic of ram tuning a naturally aspirated engine.

I've been working on the engine/Algon parts mostly... I did make backs and pans for the seats, I'm working on the cowl and stainless zoomie headers. I pressed flairs for the ends of the tubes and I had to make a forming tool to expand the oval shaped header stubbs. Pictured is the expaned tube as compaired to the tube next to it which is just pinched in a vise. This lets me use the large size tube I need and clear the stock bolt pattern without adapters or Hooker splayed pattern flanges. This will also allow me to reuse the headers when I swap heads or engines later on.

Attached Files:

26. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

hey there ....your zoomies are upside down?l.o.l.
    really...like that ;if a cylinder goes dead it's going to dump fuel in front of the tires &suprise you .........or if engine desides to puke parts out......
    think about ..........

27. Bigjake

Bigjake

Just spent a good hour reading this entire thread and all I can say is bad ass, Algon, bad ass.:D

28. Algon

Algon

Thanks Big Jake.

Gasser John, thanks for the concern man I do apperciate it and I'm glad I made you laugh I know I need one. I think your way back machine is stuck somewhere after 66 though. Actually "Zoomies", "weed burners" or whatever you prefer calling individual tube headers started out pointing at the ground or even straight out and your standard "gasser" fenderwell header has all of the same potential fuel dumping issues, adding a collector doesn't change much here. They were flipped to what I consider upside down (late 60's-modern digger, boat and pulling truck style) because of the back pressure could be used to help push the car down instead of the pluses hitting the ground while adding resistance and a hint of lift. You can also heat and help clean your slicks with an up swept Zoomie so you are right they got replaced for many good reasons. If you notice though I'm thumbing my nose at a large amount of modern things that most consider necessary items now. I can build a brand new legal all moly promod and go race UMTR if I wanted, paying to keep it going is something else. The Beetle is a bunch of junk left over from building customers cars and some vintage stuff I dug up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  29. slammed

slammed

The wickest bug on the HAMB!

30. Algon

Algon

I found this V8 Beetle too while seaching for more examples...:D

Attached Files: