Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 C/Altered Beetle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Algon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Algon

Algon

Thanks guys, I'll keep updating the thread as it comes together.

2. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

Ran into a guy at a car show in Warrenville tonight. Said he did something very similar but used a stamped out wheelbarrel back in the 60s to put a big eight in a 53 chevy. Cool idea.

3. Algon

Algon

I was going to fabricate a similar domed firewall but I had this Bantam tail section laying around, add some Jim Beam, a Fein sander with a cutting blade and the rest is history. The extras were donated to save a local 50's race car. People's eyes bug out of their heads more so with those that know Bantams. I had wanted to build it into a Roth styled freak with a sectioned 32 Plymouth cowl on the front but by the time I would of added the width for me to actually fit inside, I might aswell of started with a Model A so I scrapped the idea.

4. Algon

Algon

Here is that awning, the mold was taken off the steel section before working out the dents.

Attached Files:

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

6. Algon

Algon

Thanks, I'll post some more stuff soon. For now here is the tow car I picked up to drag the Beetle and the kids to the track, its a 64 Fairlane lane 500 4dr station wagon. It has a power tailgate window, power steering and not much else. It needs a floor pan, some quarter work and even a smashed tailgate with a clean lower half would be a big help. The previous owner threw away all of the seats for some odd reason so if you have anything drop me an email or PM. Its a $1,600 special and it needs a bit work but it was a few minutes from my place and compared to some of the cars I wasted the time to look at for alot more money its really not that bad.

Attached Files:

7. I just realized you are in Ohio. Are you gonna race against Littleman?

8. Algon

Algon

Sure why not? Don Moyer posted earlier that he wants to run against it with his Willys and King Chassis has suggested running the Suicide King which would be bad ass. I also have talked to Uncle Scooby about a Chevy vs. Ford powered Beetle match race. We'll have to see what happens when I actually finish it.

I'm hoping to street race a buddy's blown 392 Willys the first time out but I think he's out grown that sort of thing. There isn't much to adjust on mine but its going to take a few runs to get a handle on it so even with this kind of power to weight ratio and as fun as it is to bench race about, it would take some doing to take out a tried and tuned car that the driver knows. I've got some high hopes on what my car is capable of as is but the end goal is to crack into the nines with the four speed, and a small block. Now how much more money, motor, and time will it take to get there is the question.

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Killer tow vehicle...Algon!!!.........I'd race ya with the Truck......but it may get retired from the track before next year........Its last time out it posted faster times than The Reapers best as of yet.........It went 10.89 thru them old carbs.........Its time to finish DeathsDoorStep.......maybe we can square off with that......again I dig the wagon....Goodluck with your build over the winter months,Littleman

10. Algon

Algon

Thanks man, and the same to you. Hopefully you'll get DeathsDoorStep done before another two bit rip off is built. Are you putting the truck on the street or are you selling it?

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have had thoughts of rebuilding the 327 that came out of it at the start of this summer...bolting on a low duel four barrel setup and selling it....only because I want to build so many other things......but really who would buy the Truck?.....I would have to find another short person that would want it...........Its not tall friendly........Again have fun over the winter months..maybe we will run into each other at the Canton swapmeets......Dave

12. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Stole this off the drag cars in motion picture thread. Thought of you right away.
    [​IMG]

13. Kuncle

Kuncle

Volkswagen deck lids were not the same from 58-66. 58-63 were and then in 64 the tag light went flat like the later (65&66) year deck lids. 65-67 would be the ones your molding.

Here is my 58.
    [​IMG]

14. Algon

Algon

King Chassis thanks for posting that, any idea what was in it?

Kuncle, the deck lid I made the mold from was an original steel 58-63 but I removed the flange for the license plate light. The lids from 58-66 are exactly the same except for the license plate light housings and the very faint flange stamped in the lid where they sit, but as with the W-lids and most fiberglass racing parts the year specific details are left behind. However 67 is a one year only unit, though it shares its general shape with the 66 and earlier lids except that the bottom of it is squared off.

Attached Files:

15. Kuncle

Kuncle

And different types of latches. there not exact. if you look the inner structure is also different. and I also knew that 67s had a 1 year only lid as well as alot more one year only parts. I've been in vw's long enough to know my way around.

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

does'nt help that VW was the king of "continuous improvement" and would make changes and upgrades on the fly. they did'nt often wait till the next model year to make changes like most other auto makers.

17. Algon

Algon

In your first post you attempt to correct me and say my lid is a 65-67 which is not only wrong but farther off than the general listing that my fiberglass lid is a 58-66 style which it is by appearance. For that matter it fits any standard production type 1 from 66 back but you could pin it onto any year you want with minor effort.

My car is a hand built drag car, its not a restoration. Seeing as how I'm making the fiberglass parts from scratch and the steel ones came from other Beetles I have owned, yes I know what year I'm using, what they fit and what they are normally listed as when they are fiberglass racing replacement parts. More importantly I'm not even using the the license plate light or inner structure and I'm not done with modifying the deck lid to my liking.

I'm big on VW's too so if you want to talk, Nazis, cog wheels, KDF's, popes noses, charcoal-steam engines, Zwitters, Hebs, Denzels,Ramestecs, Devin-Cs , split to oval conversions, semaphores,over-riders,Okrasas,EMPI,"Deano Dynosours", Bergs, Bug Junkies, type IV Ghias, 67 specific lids-latches-handles, supers versus late model standards, or H/Gas VW cars like my old 63 113 thats cool with me but there is "The Samba" for that.

The HAMB generally exists outside of the stock VW hairs you are trying to split with someone who knows a number of them. However I'm leaving off the bullets, and possibly adding a pair of original heart or egg tails just for those who think that way...The 36hp boys on the Samba will love that...:D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think the match race thing sounds like a great idea, get a bunch of altereds together see what happens!

19. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

Just stumbled on this thread. I think that is gonna be wicked sick in the 1/4! Good luck, and nice work.:)

20. Algon

Algon

Thanks for the posts... Here are a few more old pictures.

127 A/Altered with the twelve spokes and Mr. Horsepower on the quarter is from the September 62 issue of Car Craft. Caption reads " The Beetles have a foot hold in the Altered class in the guise of the Callejo-Cauch blown Chevy powered car. Body is unitized, so driver is required to enter through an opening in roof. Mag wheels are becoming standard features."

Attached Files:

21. VW_Drac[1].jpg

How about a "flipper" :cool:

22. Algon

Algon

A few newer things, I cut out the center of the valve covers and added plates to mount the Stellings breathers to, the start of the seat frames, made ankle pivot brackets for the gas pedal (no toe strap needed),some stainless Holman Moody style thunderbirds that may make it on the car (were for the valve covers at first) and gauge pods that were used on jet boats aswell as old drag cars.

Attached Files:

23. Algon

Algon

A flipper would be cool...

Attached Files:

24. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

bad azzzzzzzzzzzzz:D

25. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I want for christmas is.....

26. Algon

Algon

Me, I want to finish this pile of junk and run the balls off of it...

27. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

When I first read that you were starting this, I had no idea it was going this far...
    My hero!

28. Algon

Algon

Thanks Scoob, This is by far the most crude car I have ever worked on, but its all hand made in my garage, with nothing fancy Like it used to be. Heck I don't even have decent compressor to run all the air tools I own. I figure why not, I've be doing this type of stuff for other people forever, most of which, couldn't tell the difference between what they got and what I should have thrown on their car out of a cataloge. My Tig is DC only and I need to pick up another Cobra torch so I have to thank my buddies, NSH57 and Jeff Church for melting some of the aluminum back together for me. Otherwise its a bunch of scraps but I get a big grin everytime I look at it.

29. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Damn,, I think you know what your talking about. It shure is a shame that some people just dont understand what your doing. And / Or are so damn into chalk marks and overspray restorations to have any taste. I never understood a overspray restoration. Just because some assembly line monkey couldnt do it right fourty years ago they think [ Im gonna do a shitty job too[.

30. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

One of my favorite continuing threads!!!