Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 C/Altered Beetle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Algon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Algon

Algon

Here is my project, its a 56 oval window Beetle. Basically I'm going for a dead on example of a C/Altered build from the 64-65 era, as per the NHRA rule books. The object is to build it not only to look the part but also to perform as they did in the 60's with the parts and building methods of the time. In other words the only off the shelf parts are hidden in the motor or were bought in the early to mid 60's.
    Its running a stroked 289 with Algon injection, a close ratio Toploader 4-speed, with a solid mounted and chopped down Edsel back 9-inch.
    The body is chopped,sectioned,shortened, and narrowed though its not as apparent as you'd think without another car to compare it to.
    All and all its a crude back to basics project that should spend more time sideways than going straight when it doesn't have the front wheels in the air but thats the point.

Attached Files:

2. cool
    looks like unclescooby has some comp for coolest bug on the hamb
    tk

3. Algon

Algon

Here's the firewall, its a 32 Bantam coupe that I took a mold off of to make a buddy an awning for his garage. The remains went to help another local Bantam coupe Altered.

Attached Files:

4. scrape

scrape

now thats cool...

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

oh no...our cars are at entirely different ends of the spectrum. where his car is constructed to be scary fast my car is merely scary fast because of it's construction. there's a really big difference between those two things.

6. Algon

Algon

Thanks, I just wish I'd skipped the front engine V-8 Corvair,the chopped and narrowed 59 f-100, 460 powered 67 Econoline, 64 A/FX Comet etc, etc.... projects that kept me from getting back to this. At this point everything but a clapped out 65 stang, I got for my wife, is sold so I'm still holding onto the idea of being able to run by the end of summer.

7. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

Cool project. Keep us updated. :cool:

8. Algon

Algon

Heres a few shots of the upper frame rail and the stacks fit to the cowl blister...

Attached Files:

• HQ11.jpg
      HQ11.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    • HQ7.jpg
      HQ7.jpg
      File size:
      48.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Algon

Algon

Hey Scoob, I have to say thanks for the complement, but I really am going for the most crude and violent thing I can build out of it what I have here. The more it looks like someone built it this way in his own garage smack in the middle of the 60's the better. The more it scares me, the better, just because I'll through more motor at it as soon as it gets old and we all know thats not cheap.

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Mine is home too. Now it's a race to see which one of us can put the nasty you-tube burnout post up first!

11. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

interesting idea,,,,

but did they have bug fiberglass fenders in 1964-65 ?
    and that headlights style did not start till 1967,
    before bugs used the sloped headslights......

yeah I know too much about VWs !

Beaulieu

12. Algon

Algon

I'm thrashing on this thing but you got me there, Iam hoping to dyno the engine soon though. I'd like to get a shot of it with the wheels up in the center of town, but I'm not sure I'd post the evidence on line.

I need to take some more shots of it, more has been done than it looks like. I'm making the fiberglass deck lid and doors are close behind.

Attached Files:

13. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

If you want it to truly be typical, an altered would probably not have been running fenders at all. There was one famous car that comes to mind. If I can remember the guys name, I think it was Gene something, I'll add a picture to this post.

14. pastlane

pastlane

I believe yer thinking of Gene Mori.

15. Algon

Algon

Your correct on the headlights, it was a newer glass clip, I cut it up for mock up. The fenders and hood will be replaced with the correct appearing but custom parts. Even whole glass Beetle bodies were around by 65-66, other parts possibly earlier but I have not found proof yet. I might have to dig up some EMPI or Gene Berg stuff from then.
    Besides I live in the birth place of the Flintstone Flyer cars, if they could make one off Packard and Stude noses, this isn't that unreasonable. All of the fiberglass is modified or custom made as with the rest of the car, there is not one "as is" bolt on part. The only real stretch in the time line are the flares on the rear fenders which though fitting in style I think the earliest I can date them to so far is 67. They may not stay but they have grown on me.

My personal dis like are the slots on it but since magnesium Americans seem to be perfectly fitting for all the late 40s, stock flatty, builds out there, its hard to get a decent set...

16. Algon

Algon

Most anything other than an Anglia that otherwise would be Gas class legal but broke the wheelbase or other build rulings,would be put in an Altered Class in this time frame, unless it more so reassembled a sports car. The main rule I'd break is with the solid rear axle per the NHRA @64 rule book.

Heres the Mori's CheVWagon and others with fenders...

Though I am going for an authentic as possible build, I consider "typical" to be more lame than stock.

Attached Files:

17. Algon

Algon

A few more...

Attached Files:

18. Interesting post, well thought out car.

At first I thought the post would be another Attack of the Noobs,
    but it fits in here just fine.

Shortened body?
    Those things are pretty short anyway.
    Got me to thinking about the fun to watch and hard to drive Anglias.

Whats the wheelbase and tread width?

19. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

bug wheelbase is 94 inches....

20. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

Gene Mori's Chevwagen is the one that I remember seeing. Here are some more pictures. It was a good running altered, and often won eliminator titles.

I am pretty sure that "front-motored" VWs could not run Gas classes, because they were originally rear engined.

The rear-engine VW Gassers had there own classes, which I think were G/G H/G, I/G & J/G.

Cars like the EMPI Inch Pincher come to mind.

Attached Files:

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Great thread! I really like the nose high, fully trimmed and full bodied beetle with the Cragars! Of course the stripped down ones make sense and are are so cool for their purposefulness.

I'd assume you guys are going to use that back window opening from the pickup for a gauge panel(?), that is cool.

22. Algon, do you know a guy in your town named Richard Roth?
    He and I are pretty good friends, I have sold him EMPI stuff throughout the years, he is building an EMPI GTV car, that will have every acessory EMPI ever offered, I think...

23. Ragtop

Ragtop

Here's one a friend of mine had back in the 60s.

Attached Files:

24. NCrod

NCrod

Different yet still traditional ....awsome!

25. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thats bad ass. my buddy started building a gasser bug and quit. I always thought it was a cool idea. Glad I get to see one finished. You gonna bring it out to the gasser reuion at thompson?
    Mat

26. Algon

Algon

C9, I was surprised how well Scooby's car was received so I thought I'd post it for the heck of it.
    Stock wheelbase is supposed to be 94-1/2" per most of what I have checked but with front and rear suspension moving in an arch it varies with ride height changes more than other setups. My 56 measured 91-1/2" nearly bottomed out, its now 91" with both sets of wheels pushed forward, front outside track is 53", rear is 59".

27. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Hell Yes!!!!!:D

i asume it is shortened mostly because of how it was chopped? makes sense.. you have me STOKED to get my hands on the Beetle i am getting from another HAMBer very soon. your making me want to go much simpler and much CRAZIER than i had original intended. LOL

DAMN that looks like fun!!

28. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I REALLY LIKE THAT!!! Get it done and I have a friend that will match race you at the hamb drags with a similar type of build Studebaker!

29. Algon

Algon

Jeem,
    The Bantam window will be plexiglass, so you can see the Ansen bell, the back of the engine, and the ground:cool:. It looks wicked seeing the stacks through the window and then through the cowl from the drivers seat. The tach and oil pressure gauge are intended to be mounted in the drivers line of sight just below the window line but I have not gotten my hands on what I want yet.

26Tudor,
    I don't think I've met him. If he has ever been to Domer's auto restoration , Hensel motorsports, or JE ProStreets, he may have run into me. I still do some side jobs at Hensel's and
    /or stop by to bullshit cars.

Ragtop, that thing is bad... What did it run for power/times?

Blown34Coupe, I'm trying, but , I'm shooting for the Gasser Nationals or maybe the Pistons meet at Thompson in September. I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to run between the main event or not. Regardless I want to make some runs this summer and then take it back apart.

Otherwise everyone else thanks for the interest...

30. Algon

Algon

kustom builder, I did it mostly for effect, and to make sure if someone builds a copy they have alot of work ahead of them to get the same appearance. I wish I still had a stocker to sit next to it for pictures. I had a 76 standard when I first started this project, though theres alot of difference between it and a 56 anyway, comparing the two made the changes really stand out where it doesn't seem much different on its own.

King Chassis, cool, anyone who'll sit in the other lane is a welcome challenge, win or lose it'd be a blast either way.