Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Buick T/L lens for 55 Chevy (Anyone Interested)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rodshop57, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

I've got 5 sets of original 56 Buick taillight lens'. They are nice lens' (NOT PERFECT) no cracks, haze, or damage. But they are 50+ years old. Anyhow, I cut one set to fit the 55 Chevy. This was a popular trend back in the day. I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in buying these for their period custom? There is quite a bit of time that goes into cutting and shaping these, so I don't want to cut more if there is no interest. You see alot of aftermarket lens' in different cars these days, so wouldn't it be nice to be different for a change? Again, I'm just testing the waters now (They Are Not All Cut Yet). These would ONLY be sold on this site. Thanks for looking and if there are any questions, let me know.

Attached Files:

2. hostaking

hostaking

I spent 2 hours in my garage today trying to to this installation. How do you fill in the gap around the sides at the lower part of the lense and also the bottom of the lense? Other than shortening the lense, is there anything else I have to do for this great 55 chevy lense setup ? Thanks

3. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

What are all the 56 Buicks going to use???

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IIRC, back in the day, you put them in the oven (don't tell your wife), and heated them up to just the right temperature, and then bent them out wider by hand.

5. Rodshop57

Rodshop57
    from Berry Ky

The problem with using reproduction Taillight bezels is that they are a little wide. Most of the new bezels, that I have fooled with, don't fit flush on the sides with the body. They usually stick out some. If this is the case, just squeeze lightly (don't get crazy or you will crack the chrome or the bezel) a little at a time until they fit the housing and body. This closes up the lens opening also for a better fit. You will have slight gap on the sides even after that (look at the rear view picture in my original post). You also need to make sure that your bezels are room temp also before you do this. I've been afraid to heat the old lens' and spread them, because in my opinion, the gap is not that bad. Also, I have found it much easier to install the top bezel screw and lift the bottom of the bezel and slip your lens in through the opening (Nearly impossible to install and tighten top screw with lens in). I hope this helps some.

6. hostaking

hostaking

I installed the 55 chevy reflectors in my 56 buick lenses. Just trimmed the sides a little and glued them in.. Also, this wedges the sides out a little depending how much you trim the reflector, the lenses bend a little. Now trying to figure how or what to gasket around it.