Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 6 Cyl IGN siwtch issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e-tek, Nov 12, 2011.

1. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I'm hoping you guys have heard this one a thousand times: I'm restoring a 56 Chevy 3100 (check my blog) and was going to start it up today. Found no power to the IGN2 or START tabs on the IGN switch. Key moves one position only and lights up the ACC terminals, but doesn't seem to have a second notch to light up the IGN and START terminals (for starter solenoid and coil). I didn't take this truck apart so not sure if GM IGN switches should have 2 positions, or if all terminals should light up at first/only position. I ended up jumping it from the ACC terminals across to the IGN2 and START terminals and got spark, but that means there's 12V to points all the time....this is a 6 cylinder (235) truck. Thanks for any help.

2. 6 cylinder ignition switches only have 2 positions. There is no start position because it used a foot starter.

A V8 switch will have 3 positions.

3. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I see the EXACT same IGN switch on Bob's Chevy Trucks is stated as a V8 only switch....is there a difference?

[​IMG]

4. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Saxman - thanks....I just saw the light bulb as you answered....maybe someone slipped a v8 switch in....but still, the key only moves one position, but doesn't power the IGN2 or START tabs. This truck has a foot starter, works fine. No power to coil without power to those tabs.

Weird thing is the owners had it running 5 or 6 years ago and it worked!

5. squirrel

squirrel

the ign2 and start tabs dont' get power from the switch, they get it from the starter switch on the 6 foot pedal starter. That circuit is used only to bypass the ballast resistor while starting the engine.

at least that's how I remember it

If you want a key start, get the V8 switch. Also do some research on how to wire it up, it is not "normal", the second ignition circuit is for the resistor bypass.

6. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Thanks Squirel - I think that's the info I needed. I don't want a V8 switch. I would not have guessed that power came back from the starter. I have a new harness and I see a green coming back, I'll trace that up to the switch and get it figured out.

7. squirrel

squirrel

if you dont have the manual, I could try to scan the wiring diagram, but it's really small and hard to read and confusing....

8. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

No worries - I found this one on the net. It's for a 55, but the IGN switch is the same. With it and your info, it's coming together. Appreciate it.

Kinda large - but everyone can see this one!

[​IMG]