Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 royal build, or how to build on a budget and not get put on the couch by your wife.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Cmac79, Mar 29, 2015.

1. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Look forward to more on this

2. Cmac79

Cmac79

I prolly need to get the oil pump shaft out because it had a brass bushing correct?

3. you will need to remove the cam brgs before vatting...caustic solutions will eat them up.

4. Cmac79

Cmac79

I'm getting new ones. I was gonna let them get eat up. Haha

5. Cmac79

Cmac79

What about the brash bushing for the oil pump shaft though? Any ideas?
    I'm not sure my rebuild kit will come with a new one if I beat this one out

6. I forgot to add,,I hope you have your rod and main caps numbered...and NO on letting them get eaten up...The babbit going into your solution will severely weaken the strength of the solution and leave babbit deposits on everything in your vat..Dont be too damn lazy to remove the old brgs.

Cmac79 likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you use electrolysis all you need is a battery charger and a handful of washing soda. It won't eat up anything but rust, grease and paint.

Cmac79 likes this.
  8. Cmac79

Cmac79

The reason I was gonna leave them in is because I've been tapping on a couple and they are set in pretty good.
    I did t want to mar the surface under the bearings
    Everything is numbered from the factory on the rods, mains and caps .

9. Cmac79

Cmac79

Then there looks like rubber "grommets" around the oil galley ?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429479462.846829.jpg
    I think I need to wait until my rebuild kit gets here and I can see exactly what I have

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  10. Cmac79

Cmac79

Holding off on vatting for now until I get some research done and my parts.
    There is no room for error due to budget constraints and parts availability.
    In the meantime I'm using elbow grease.
    I'm gonna start getting the interior ripped out and assess the pans, start getting body work done.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429489382.773848.jpg

11. 35desoto

35desoto

Cmac79 likes this.
  12. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Do not loose those 4 rocker shaft studs they are not replaceable.

13. 73RR

73RR

...clean out the shaft tube including all of the small orifices leading to the rockers as well as the small feed holes in the rockers. Use a small drill bit and lots of brake cleaner. If you can get a small cup of the caustic powder from your machine shop then buy an old crock-pot from your favorite thrift store and clean the rockers by themselves.
    Disassemble one rocker at a time so you'll have a sample of how the parts go back together.
    As mentioned, do not attempt to remove the studs that hold the rockers; they are hollow and will break.
    The brass tower bushing can be left in the block; vat chemicals will not hurt the brass. Replace it if it is sloppy to the shaft.
    O-rings on the face of the block are common sizes and should be replaced.

14. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Nice car and I commend you on all the work you are doing yourself - totally the HAMB way.
    Not to get away from your engine but just some pointers I learned with my 55 Plymouth. 1956 Mopars have many components you can use on your 55 once you have converted to 12V. I used a blower motor fan from a 56 parts car. Don't know if you have any near you but I found 3 in a local junk yard.
    Also consider a dual cylinder master cylinder for safety. The Mopar cylinders from the late 60's are pretty close to a bolt in. Mine uses a 67 Satellite manual brake unit.
    Also read up on the 1955-56 Plymouth group here on the hamb - lots of great info for exactly what you are doing.

Cool ride, enjoy.