Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 powerglide

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool_37, Apr 28, 2008.

1. olskool_37

olskool_37
    from Michigan

Are the original iron power glides out of a 1955 chevy even worth using or should I modernize a little bit. I have no experience with these trannys so any input or information would be very helpful. I have one that is in use able condition but don't know how much of a beating they can take or how well they will stand up behind any kind of power. Thanks for your time.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They work ok if you are running one in a totally restored 55 that isn't going to be driven hard but I wouldn't think you would want one in a car with a hot engine that you intend to drive hard. I remember that a couple of friends that had them back in the early 60's (high school years) tore them up on a regular basis.
    There might be someone who builds them for serious driving but the expense would probably be way higher than putting in a newer stronger trans.

3. Stong when they work. You can get a surprise dump of oil whenever the trans decides to dump it. I had a good one the other day and gave it to the junk man. Not worth the trouble to try to sell..

4. belair

belair

It is not just a boat anchor, it's a SHIP anchor. ANYTHING will be an improvement.

5. olskool_37

olskool_37
    from Michigan

Thanks for the info, it seems the consensus is to throw is away and use pretty much anything else. That is kinda what I figured but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help.