Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 PONTIAC STARCHIF ANYONE NO IF ANY OTHER MOTORS WILL BOL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyle paul, Nov 25, 2003.

1. 55 PONTIAC STARCHIF ANYONE NO IF ANY OTHER MOTORS THAT WILL BOLT UP TO THE STOCK TRANS OR IF THERE ANY ADAPTORS THANX AGAIN KYLE

2. A '56 316 cubic inch
    - '57 347 cubic inch
    - '57 1/2 370 cubic inch

I don't know of any kits, but Pontiac motors will interchange from '55 to '57 1/2. I don't have any intimate knowlege of '58 and up.

What is it you're trying to do?
    Bil

3. thanks for the info bill and hes just trying to get back on the road with out a tranny swap and i dont think he liks to get dirty or he just lasy im not really sure besides he want to drive again and he needs a motor thanx again kyle

4. ......also, '58 370
    '59, 389
    '59, 389
    '60, 389.......These also bolt in BUT!
    If you're ginna reuse the old 55 slant-pan hydro, [a very good move] you'll need to take your favorite 4" grinder to the later crankshaft flange to remove a little of the sharp edge on the outside of it. Otherwise, the front half of the fluid coupling won't fit flush against the flange, causing a leak [the coupling hasta fit flat against the crank to seal] and a wobble that can take out the frontpump of the hydro on start-up.... sounds scary but it's not..once you try to fit the coupling against the crank, you'll see what I mean. The entire operation can be done with a grinder in about 10 minutes and won't affect engine balance unless you're gonna spin that poncho to about 10 grand...I've done several of 'em this way....
    The rest is a bolt-in that can make a holy terror of your mom-and-pop 55 mildmobile... Just imagine! 303 hp of 1959-60 poncho motor where 180 usta be. When you plant your right foot in this setup, you better be ready....I've chirped all 4 gears with this setup and the shift to 2nd can be an adventure all it's own with potential 'curb-to-curb gyrations, complete with mucho carb, tire and exhaust drama........it's fun-city with a lightweight cheiftain 2 door sedan.....