Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Pontiac penion seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redbows35panel, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

OK Guys, need your help again. My pinion seal on my 55 Star Chief is leaking.
    Neither I nor my mechanic can find a new one. I understand that 55/56 used a smaller unit than others. So it requires it's own special seal. Could sure use your help. I looked in the CPR catalog and they show No engine or drive line parts. Got no match on the seal at Ames either. Thanks in advance.

2. Willy301

Willy301

We have a place called Motion Industries, wondering if they can match it by dimensions, they have done this a lot for me. I have posted in the past about my rear diff that is very small, and of unknown origin. Napa was able to match it by dimension as well. only other way I know, would be to somehow change the dimensions to meet a seal that is available. While not easy, this should be considered as a last resort...

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^does he do stuff for the earlier '49-'56 rears as well? Are ring and pinions available for the early rear? He only lists the late rears on his website.

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

CPR used to list the pinion seal on their website. Instead of relying on a catalog, I would call or check with email to check for availability.

6. Tried looking it up for an Oldsmobile? It should be the same, because they used the same rearends, but I can't say that for 100% certain.

7. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

8. Try Northwestern Auto Supply in Grand Rapids Michigan.They have an 800 number and ALL of their parts men are knowledgeable.Been dealing with them for years.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Iwould really like to see more stuff available for the smaller '49-'56 rear. excepting race cars, it was a popular choice for rods in the sixties, really nice looking rear when its chromed.

10. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Really considering a swap. Engine and tranny are already done. Why not just go to a later Gm that parts are more available for? That would take care of both the seal and whine problem at once, Any suggestions as to which rear end I should consider? And what gears with my 700R4?