Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 pontiac help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jerrykacal, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jerrykacal

jerrykacal
    from odessa tx

I purchased a 55 chieftain from a friend.. I was told he bought it off of brandy that is on this site. the car has a 389 motor ( gold ) I am wondering if anyone knows this brandy or knows her well enough to know what all is done to this motor . also is the 389 a good motor to build for power. and any general knowledge of these cars would be greatly appreciated

2. F&J

F&J

3. buds56

buds56

4. 389 Pontiac is a great choice for a 55. I remember when Brandy was really excited about building this 55 but unless she got the engine from "Rusty" [another Texan] here on the HAMB [one I built] I have no idea what's in it.
    I've used '59 and '60 poncho 389s in many different 55-57 Pontiacs and they're a great chioce because of their parts interchangibility . One if those engines is a straight bolt-in for any 55-60 Pontiac. Used speed parts are still available on line,ebay or here on the HAMB classifieds. They make great low end torque and respond well to speed equiptment and modifications. I'm using one in my 34 ford and have an extra '59, 389 on an engine stand in the garage.
    Use a 58-60 stick bellhousing and you can bolt any GM manual tranny from a 3 speed overdrive to a T-5 or reuse the 55 hydro behind a 389 with a teeny bit of grinding on the crank flange..Yeah, you could say I like 'em.

Attached Files:

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. That hearse/ambulance something that still exists?

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

pontiacsafari.com has an online shop manual and lots of other good info. If your looking for parts your local stores can't help than try California Pontiac Restoration.

7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Anyone know how to get ahold of this guy?! I don't hamb fan as much as I used to....house resto 101

Rocky, no, that engine was built back home in Bakersfield.

If anyone knows this guy, have him call me 254-223-0800