Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55 Oldsmobile Inner Front Wheel Bearing Upgrade.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott De Shields, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Has anyone found a roller bearing replacement for the factory ball bearing units used on the 55 Oldsmobiles. Have heard of alternatives for 55 Chevrolets but nothing for the Oldsmobiles. I have had people tell me that there is nothing wrong with the ball bearing units so why was the Timkin bearing developed and replaced the ball bearing.

2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

When I replaced my brothers bearings on his 56 Holiday with ball bearings sourced from a local bearing distributor here in Ohio.
    BDI-Bearing Distributors is their current name I believe they have locations across the country. The main difference I've seen between ball and taper is the ball bearings need to be maintained more often than taper bearings. We repacked and adjusted his once a year so depending on your driving habits I guess it could be more often. Joe

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

It's not that hard to repack them every year

4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Not at all just have to remember to do it as part of a spring maintenance maybe. Gives you a chance to adjust and inspect the brakes. Joe

5. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Thanks for all the good advice, but would still like to find someone that has done this conversion.