Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Olds transmission conversion to GM 400

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r156, Oct 18, 2017.

1. r156

r156

I have a restored 55 Olds and do not like
    The hydramatic transmission. The engine
    Is a built 1957 Olds J2 engine which needs a stall converter. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Jimray23

Jimray23

If you use a BOP 400 it would be a easy swap.

Jim

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Define "easy" o_O

The complicating issue with this swap (which can be done) is the partial bell housing common to early Olds blocks. Unless the transmission case is modifed, the whole assembly (engine and trans) is quite long and bulky in bell housing area. It also requires a long crankshaft extension to place the torque converter properly.

Some adapters are made that require cutting part or all of the bell off of the newer trans and either welding on a new flange or bolting on an adapter to the front pump bolts. That adapter then bolts to the Olds block. That method works best to retain near stock dimensions of the assembly.

Goatroper, here on the HAMB has, I believe, a kit for this purpose. Also, Bendtsens in MN transmissionadapters.com may have an adapter kit that will work.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    bobwop likes this.
  4. Jimray23

Jimray23

It looks like the BOP 400 (3L80) was used from 1964-1990. I could be wrong.[​IMG]

Jim

5. Jimray23

Jimray23

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The BOP bellhousing bolt pattern did originate in 1964 models, but that has nothing to do with the Olds block design from prior years. Further, the Bendtsen's adapter you picture is exactly the one I referenced in my earlier post. Please note the approximately 6" crankshaft extension (also mentioned) and visualize that behind an extended bell Olds block. While it will work, it is not very desirable as it would require considerable floor modification to fit into a '55 Olds body.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your going to all the trouble, put in a 200R4.

8. Ok, I'll ask. Why don't you like the hydramatic transmission?

Also, what year hydro? The 55 model would be the 4 speed dual band. The later model years would be not as good. What do you have?

bobwop likes this.
  9. Jimray23

Jimray23

Have you considered the jetaway transmission, like the one that came behind the j2 engine you are running?

Jim

10. r156

r156

This motor has a lot of cam in it and without a stall speed or at least 2,500 rpm's It bogs bad because the 1957 jetaway Hydramatic has a torus and you have no way for the engine to get over the initial acceleration and stumbles. I hope this makes sense to you.
    I have had a terrible time adjusting the shift from 2n to 3rd without it sounding like it is slipping. The original transmission in the car was a 3 speed hydramatic.
    Thanks for the reply

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Original trans was a 4 speed DUAL RANGE hydro...no three speeds back then if it was a stock setup.

r156 likes this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Jetaway Hydramatic is almost universally considered an inferior transmission, especially when compared to the earlier Dual Range Hydramatic.
    And, as it turns out, the OP already has the Jetaway..........

Ray

bobwop likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal