Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Ford Oil Pressur Sensor

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Porttownsend119, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Porttownsend119

Porttownsend119

Can anyone tell me why there is a condenser that is welded to a mounting band affixed to my oil pressure sensor on my 1955 Mercury Monterey? The parts house was perplexed and I found nothing in the 55-56 shop manual. But I have three of these 292 y block engines in my 3 55 Montereys and they all have it...note that the oil sensor has a two blade connector on it. One blade connects to the wire coming from the instrument cluster...the other to the condenser. The part number on the condenser is FDC-18826-A and below it, a stamped circle with 648 inside it. See the pictures.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Radio static suppression. In the olden days they put condensers on everything that could produce static on the radio. If it's not a problem, you don't need it anyway.

3. Porttownsend119

Porttownsend119

Thank you son of Thor...one of the Napa guys told me that. I guess now I need to understand what an electrical condensed is, what it's made of, and why it does what it does. Good thing, for now, none of my radios work. All in good time. Cheers man!

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Samreason there is one on my fuel gage sender at the fuel tank.