Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Ford Fairlane update and idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sobastrace, Mar 6, 2006.

1. I swapped out the old Load-a-matic disty for a 58 ford disty. Adjusted the rear brakes, and I finally feel I have them right. The parking brake still has a tough time on a steep hill if I park with the tail pointed backwards. It seems to hold when the nose is pointed down the hill. I also drove her for the first time in the dark, and I found that the front parking lights have one white bulb and one orange bulb. Looks so stupid. i will have to fix that this week.

Side note, I have talked to Chopped50Ford, and he is all set to start on straightening the front fenders and repairing the inner fenders and then getting some pretty color on her. I am really getting excited.

One last comment. After replacing all the steering, springs, shocks, etc. I am still dissapointed with how sloppy she drives. What do you 50's Ford guys do for improving the road capabilities?

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Define what "sloppy" is to you.You could have improved your ride and handling by using the '89 Ford Aerostar front springs for about $60 a pair which will give you a 2 1/2" to 3" drop,this has been discussed many times on the board and anyone that did it is happy with the outcome.If you are getting some "lean" while cornering and you have not replaced the sway bar links and bushings convert those to polyurethane from Energy Suspension and add a rear sway bar.

3. Sorry Jeff, The amount of play in the steering wheel, even after adjusting the steering box. It also floats more than I thought it would with new springs and shocks. All the 50's cars i have driven in the past were all radically lower, which made a difference in the amount of float.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You need to have someone move the steering wheel back and forth in the slop while you check the linkage to tell where the slop is in the system. It's pretty easy to see any movement in the linkage that doesn't change the tire direction. Check the idler arm. When they wear out the arm will rise and fall instead of moving the wheels left and right producing lots of play in the steering wheel. You can get cheap rebuild kits if that turns out to be a problem. The nice thing about front end work is that you can actually see and feel where the problem is making it easy to diagnose.

I'm getting closer on my 56 Mainline. I'm getting excited too. I can see the end of the tunnel. It's just a long tunnel.:D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

here is mine and after a 32,33,40 it feels good to have a back seat a real trunk like it as much as any car I have owned

Attached Files:

6. Carlos, Your car is one that my wife keeps refering back to when we are brainstorming. We both love how clean the lines are. Do you have any detail shots of the interior or under the hood?

7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Aquatone blue,snowshoe white,302,c4 stock front withe the coils cut,stockrear 4 inch blocks,57 ford steering wheel.plan on air ride for the front dont ride real bad now but bad enough that I want to change it.Not bad on familar roads but on the road keeps you on your toes watchin for pot holes.

Attached Files:

8. Okay, Putting some time in on the 55. She still drives like piss.

I had the control valve and ram rebuilt and she still has power assist ONLY to the left. Pulled everything again and sent it back it now has power to both sides, but if I let go if the wheel she will eventually turn herself to the full left lock.

Time for rebuild #5.

I started getting more old paint off, and I dropped in to see Chopped50Ford's new shop. He has it crammed with a bunch of cars, but the 55 will be in for metal work first week of December.

We have decided to go with Neptune green and white two tone.

Attached Files:

9. More sanding....more sanding......more sanding

Attached Files:

10. Slowly getting closer. Once the paint was stripped, it was delivered to Chopped50Ford (Vintage metal) for some additional love.

Attached Files: