Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 fairlane underhood wiring harness or diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budd, Mar 12, 2010.

1. budd

budd

i need to fix up the underhood wiring on my 55 fairlane, its quite a rats nest under there, can i buy a stock harness from the firewall forward? even just a diagram would work for now, thanks.

2. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

There's not much there! I'll scan my diagram in the morning, or could just take a photo of my car's engine compartment. What would you like?

3. budd

budd

i'll take a few pics of what i have and post them in the morning, that might be a good place to start, i'm pulling the engine this week and just want to make things a little neater is all, everything seems to work there just extra live wires hanging around?

4. budd

budd

so here are some pics, the car has been converted to 12V in the past, that many be the reason for some of the extra wires. thanks for any help

Attached Files:

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You can buy reproduction wiring based on how the factory broke up the connections. There is more than one harness under the hood so you will need to decide which ones you need. It may be cost effective to repair the wires from the main harness under the dash that come through the firewall into the engine compartment and then replace harnesses that connect to it.

If it's a real mess get the reproduction wiring manual for your car. It will explain everything and you can see how the harnesses are connected and where they are supposed to run. You can tell what is factory and what is not correct. I am in the middle of doing a 56.

You can peel off the factory wrapping, check for any bare wires and re-wrap with electrical tape to restore the new look. I use a rag soaked in lacquer thinner to wipe all the exposed wire and plastic terminals that Ford used. It is amazing how nice they will clean up without having to replace everything. You can get the bullet style connectors that Ford used if they are missing or you need to replace just a single wire in a harness.

It's pretty easy with the book. It's very detailed. It takes the guess work out of it.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Can you buy a replacement harness? Yes! Is it cost effective and an EZ install ? No! Your best bet is contact glenn33 here on the HAMB and get one of his harness kits (Rebel Wire) under $180 and upgrade the whole mess.I see you still have the Y-block, there are now brackets available to change to an alternator,go one one wire and you will eliminate the voltage regulator and all the wiring that goes along with it.If you run into any problems Glenn is as near as your phone for help,check out the 52-56 Ford group and check out the guys that have used his kits,they are happy ++.