Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 fairlane steering wheel question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budd, Jul 12, 2009.

1. budd

budd

so i cut the hub from my fairlanes steering wheel to use as a hub for another wheel, my wheel was shot and cut anyway, but i didn't take notice of which way the signal light auto canceller points, who has a wheel or some pics that could help me out, thanks, i'm down to the last could of steps before driving the car.

2. If you look closely at the splines, there is one extra wide spline that will only let it fit onto the shaft if it's properly centered. If that extra wide spline is at the bottom, the opening on the canceller points to the right; if it turned to where the extra wide spline is at the top, the opening of the canceller points to the left.

3. budd

budd

i'll have to look at the pitmen arm as the wide spline is pointing at about 1:30, so can the pitmen arm be installed in different positions?

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

On my '54 ford the canceler cam in the wheel lined up with the turn signal arm which puts it on your left as you face it.

5. vertible59

vertible59

Yes, machining out the wide spline. This is necessary when installing a '60-'64 big Ford steering box in a '54-'56 Ford or Mercury.

6. budd

budd

i would think that if the wide spline is not at 12 or 6 then my steering box is not centered, i guess i have to pull the pitmen arm and check it, there never is an easy way..lol, thanks for the help guys