Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 fairlane project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by A_Burly_Wind, Oct 22, 2017.

1. loudbang and bobss396 like this.
  2. G code indicates Chicago assembly plant. Here's how to decode your serial number: http://www.theclassicford.com/1955_Ford_ID_numbers.htm
    So, M=272 V8 with 4 barrel carb, 5=1955 model year, G=Chicago assembly plant, and V=Victoria body style (2 door hardtop). The number that follows is a sequential production number.

loudbang likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Great 55, I will be watching.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Well guys, tonight i ordered some aerostart springs and a set of blocks for the rear. And i will run up to towel city and grab some tires this weekend. Also going to order some porter mufflers since these cherry bombs on it are pretty blown out. Then maybe start on the 12v swap and compile my disc brake swap.

Shes got the good "G" code heads on it and i have a "B" manifold with a 600 carb so i may just put that on and install a 57 dizzy with pertronix and coil. And may call mummert and see what he recommends on a bump stick for it. Think itll be a cool lil car especially with some extra power.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Also i have the factory fender skirts for it and dont intend on running them so if anyone is interested theyll be for sale shortly

loudbang likes this.
  6. I never saw any good floor shifters for the OD trans (if that's what the car actually has). By the time floor shifters had become popular, the OD trans had fell out of favor and there wasn't much market for them. If your heart is set on one, look for a '62-64 Ford 4-speed, either a T10 or Toploader. Both will be cheaper than a '65-up trans too, as these aren't as popular. Either will be a near bolt-in, and shifters for those can be found.

OD trans are fabulous cruising transmissions, but don't suffer abuse well. I used to kill 'em behind a six...

loudbang likes this.
  7. Thanks bud i will keep that in mind, as for now its going to stay on the colum, i forgot how fun a column shift is

loudbang likes this.
  8. The '50s Fords had good column linkage in them, not like the clunky crap that showed up in the mid '60s (which was one of the reasons floor shifters became popular). Spend a few bucks putting new rubber bushings in and it will amaze you how well they can work.

loudbang likes this.
  9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You really should join up here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/social-forums/1952-59-ford-social-group.282/ A lot of the things you are asking about can be found in our all FORD group.

loudbang likes this.
  10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

loudbang and A_Burly_Wind like this.
  11. Thanks bud that helps out a ton! and I joined the social forum so i will be there asking questions.

loudbang likes this.
  12. I gotta agree with Crazy Steve regarding transmissions. The sprag unit in the overdrive won't suffer many hard shifts before it grenades. I also killed one with a 235 chevy six. The chevy had a nice, strong clutch. I also had one in a 55 ford with a 272 but the rear main dumped so much oil on the clutch, I couldn't hurt the trans if I wanted to....the clutch slipped terribly! With the changes you're planning to your engine, I'd go with a four speed too...with a quality Hurst shifter. You'd love it! Then there's the 55-56 police car/wagon dana rear axle upgrade.........
    Every body builds 312 motors....I'd love to see what your 272 will do with the performance upgrades you describe. I'll be watching. 55fordin66.jpg

loudbang likes this.