Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Crown Vic 272 Power Steering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NewGuyOldFord, Jul 21, 2015.

1. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I have a friend with a restored 55 crown vic with a 272 in it and manual steering. He has access to a complete power steering setup for this car minus the engine pullies. He claims that he needs a 3 groove pulley for the crank but I'm not sure. So, is there anyone that would have a picture of this setup and possibly take off engine pullies available used? Thanks. BART

2. Mark T

Mark T

3. All of them I ever saw used a 2 groove pulley on the crank (unless you had the ultra-rare AC option). One belt ran the water pump and generator, the other just the power steering.

These power steering set-ups are problematic; the idler arm uses rubber bushings to pull the steering back to center and the currently available aftermarket ones are crap. And if you don't have the special Ford tool for changing the bushings, you have to pull the arm and centerlink off the car to change them. Moog at one time made an 'improved' idler arm that cured this issue, but it's long discontinued....

4. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Thanks guys. I tried to tell him that it should only have a two groove pulley. Steve, as far as the PS setup being problematic, he is hell bent on using a factory setup after the borgeson unit he bought would not fit or so he says. This is a beautiful car but his health is challenging him when it comes to manual steering so he is going with what he knows from the old days. Once again, thanks for the input.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Dearborn classics crank pulley $150