Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 chevy truck with camaro frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommyboyink, Feb 18, 2010.

1. tommyboyink

tommyboyink
    from santa rosa

hey I got question. i replaced the front of my truck frame with a camaro, but forgot about the how to remount the front clip any ideas?

thanks, Tommy

2. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Spend an hour or two looking at profile pictures of the trucks to be sure you know what it is supposed to look like.

Bolt the fenders and hood to the cab tight enough to hold position, but loose enough to be movable. Put a jack under the front of the sheet metal and gently move it up and down until you find where it looks right.

Then fabricate front mounts to hold it there.

Kick yourself for not thinking ahead.

Alternate approach: Find another truck still mounted on a stock frame, but with the front clip removed. Bolt the radiator mount to the frame using the proper mounts. Create a rigid metal frame welding to the radiator mount and bolting to factory holes on the cab that will also be on your truck. It has to be rigid enough that when you move it to your truck the radiator mount will float in the right place. Then build brackets to hold the radiator mount in that location.

Kick yourself for not thinking ahead.

3. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Just slap a tractor grille on it?:D

4. tommyboyink

tommyboyink
    from santa rosa

thanks, for the help. =)

5. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Tommyboy ink, find the post "How to clip a 58 Chevy in one day or weekend" it's something like that. The thread takes you through the entire process of clipping a 55-59 chevy truck. There's lots of pictures. Sorry but I do not have the link here at work. Good luck, Sam

6. tommyboyink

tommyboyink
    from santa rosa

thanks, i look around for it.

7. LMFAO!!! Not at you I swear! That just sound just like some of the bone headed shit I've pulled:rolleyes:. Hell, as long as you're learning as you go mistakes are a good thing. Good for you for owning it and coming to ask. I have no advice to offer you, just moral support. So, keep on trucking. I do like OldSub's second suggestion. Making a fixture before you start is how the old timers around here have told me to do it.

8. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

If I had footnoted that approach I'd have given credit to Enjenjo (Frank K) here on the HAMB. Tex Smith published Frank's approach in his chassis book some years ago and that is where I first saw the technique.

9. Fenderskirt66

Fenderskirt66