Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 55 Chevy sectioned and shortened

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

There's just soooo much wrong in this thread. That short Corvair... NO! BAD! NOBAD!

At least y'all have been entertained 6 pages worth.

2. Mimilan

Mimilan

@SR100
    Looks like Chevy was trying to compete with the T/Bird
    upload_2020-4-22_10-56-44.png

41 coupe likes this.
  3. Came across this pic years ago here on the h.a.m.b. Saved it for some strange reason. Maybe for a future thread like this one.
    chev cut down.jpg

chevy57dude, Outback, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  4. Its all about entertainment. Sometimes everyone needs a little escape from the norm. Or in the case of people like me something to make you feel normal. ;)

That one is a little more extreme than most, they even shortened the quarter windows.

Nostrebor likes this.
  5. X-cpe

X-cpe

Mini Cooper on steroids?

seb fontana likes this.
  6. ...why is this thread 6 pages long and there's nothing traditional about it?
    ...must be the lock-down affecting people...duh

7. verde742

verde742

weltr.jpg the only ONE I ever seen I like, Gary Welters, gweltr.jpg

lower picture "DOCTORED " by "the Moose"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

WOW, extra short shorty. I bet its like driving a goofy little rocket. I kinda dig it

9. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Kinda funny on all these mini tri fives, we are all looking at them with the same grimace on our face and shaking our head while saying..." I don't know.....". Maybe , just maybe , with a ton of forethought and planning and photo chopping, somebody will pull it off. But we, or any of these builders haven't yet. The GM engineering team that designed those cars were in the right mindset. Great design years.

chevy57dude likes this.
  10. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

ugly has been around for a long time-as traditional as you can get!

Gman0046 and X-cpe like this.
  11. 26Troadster

26Troadster

when i left school for the navy in 79 we had two shortened 57 wagons. one was on stock style suspension and was a nice looking car for what it was, but the other belonged to a close buddy and had a ford truck straight axle and ford truck rearend (all 4 tires stuck out from under the body) 327 4 speed and would roll out real nice. first street car i ever saw pull the wheels.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

In 1969 there was a green shorty wagon in Marine City, Mi. It had a 427- 425hp and a 4 speed Olds rear and 1/4 elliptic rear springs with some stiff gears . It would wheelie in 1st and 2nd no problem on the street. It was quick and nobody laughed at it after they street raced it.

13. raymay

raymay

While I have always enjoyed being different and creative with my own builds, I could never figure out the fascination of the shortened 50's and 60's cars I have seen. Most of them including the 55 loose their "flow appeal" in the design when I see the roof lines and wheel base. For me any success would require knowing your limitations, better design planning and usually many hours of work. I would consider most creative builds to be an art form whether they are built professionally or in your home garage. Key elements in a build should not only be that the builder likes it but that it also has a reasonable amount of appeal to others especially if it ever becomes available for sale. One artistic shorty that caught my attention as soon as I saw it was The Murray Pfaff 59 Imperial. I have also been inspired by the creativity of Ernie Adams and his Dwarf car builds. Of course the person I wish I could have known and who I believe was a creative genius is Harley Earl who by the way had no real drawing skills but he had a vision that was usually years ahead of his time. He did one of a kind customizing on cars for people in California before becoming the legendary GM designer responsible for so many of the cars we know and love.

IMG_0156.JPG dsc01043.jpg dwarfcardoc.jpg OIP8BGP0PZ1.jpg 1558539_598427073539573_265015404_n[1].jpg

14. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Those are actually pretty cool. Appear to be miniature versions as opposed to cut down. The proportions are right, just smaller.

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since we seem to have gone way beyond the confines of the initial '55 Chev, how about this '41 Dodge? Car Craft magazine considered it one of the top 10 customs of 1963. What to do if you can't find a Volvo. Scan-200426-0001.jpg

X-cpe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This, is the for-runner of the Smart Car. It also looks far worse than most of the shorty wagons out there.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

That Dodge looks better than most the Chevys featured here. Just straighten out the incongruent B pillar and it'd be good to go.