Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 chevy header questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by i drive 55, Sep 26, 2007.

1. i drive 55

i drive 55

i'm looking for a shorty style header that will clear the steringbox and colom shift in my 55 chevy with a 265. does anybody have any suggestions on what i should use? also i don't have a huge budget. thanks for the help.
    cole

2. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I know ecklers classic chevy sells a performance ram horn as well as speedway..... around $2-$300. Or if it has the front engine mount still, I think a cheap set of speedway block huggers would work.... they are pretty nice people, you could talk to a tech. I ran full length hookers then switch to fenderwell. I would try the ram horns first.
    -my 2 cents, Jason

3. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

I used the Patriot 3/4 headers on my '55. They fit pretty well.

I got them from Summit, if I remember correctly, and they weren't very expensive.

4. I used Sanderson shorties in my SBC-powered '55. They cleared the 605 PS box nicely and allowed (relatively) easy access to the sparkplugs & header bolts.

I appreciate your limited budget, but look for the best value, not just the cheapest. There are some seriously badly engineered headers out there (thin/warped flanges, for example).

Hope this helps.

5. 270283

Given your parameters I would suggest finding a set of stock ramhorns. These and a set of duals for a 57 will fit, work great and cost little.