Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55 Chevy grille in a 53

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Toqwik

Toqwik

I am a huge fan of 53 and 55 Chevy's. I love the bulge of my 53's rear fenders but I don't love the 53 Grille. I bought one from a fellow HAMBer (Thanks olskool34) to see how it fits but I have a dark job (Leave at dark, come home at dark) and haven't been able to see how the 2 could marry because my car is outside. Searching the internet I can't find where anyone has tried this before. I also think the 55 rear bumper would look better on my car than the original as well. anyone tried the 55 grille in a 53 and how did it look?

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Never have seen that; seen the 53 grille in a 55 however. Seems to me someone was using a 55 bumper, only flipped over; I don't remember if it was front or rear. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. What I would do, is ask one of the people on the photoshop thread to draw it for you. All you need to submit, is a picture of your car and a picture of the grille. I would do it, but I can't even draw a bath.

Frankie47, Budget36 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. @Toqwik Not sure about the dimensions but I'm sure it would take some modification...Should give some idea.

grill.jpg

quick85 and wvenfield like this.

5. If I had a '53 and wanted to improve it, I think I would go with a '54 grille.

6. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

7. indyjps

indyjps

Im seeing it. Do you want a 55 grill and remove the 53 surround and fog lights? Straight bumper with no guards will be a clean loo.

May check how a 57 bumper lines up to the 53 upper surround also.

8. lowrd

lowrd

There may be some pictures available with the 55 front on the 53 done during development of the 55 by the factory. Might take a look around. Can't recall where I saw them.

9. zzford

zzford

I believe the 55 grille is significantly larger than pictured.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Toqwik

Toqwik

Thanks Themoose, looks good. I'm thinking if you lost the bumper guards and the marker lights. The 55 grille is roughly about the same size as the 53 opening. I am thinking using the 55 trim as well, no 53 grill parts whatsoever.

11. I think if I was attempting to do this swap, that I would want to look at eliminating the 53 outer grill frame, including the lights.
    I don't know if it would look good using the 55 signal lights, but it would allow mounting the full width of the 55 grill.
    Bob

12. Toqwik

Toqwik

J-Jock I agree, no 53 trim on the front. Think the contours are close where it wouldn't be hard to blend.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^THIS^^^^^!!!!!. Personally, I can't see a 55 grille on a 53 car. 54 grille (the above photo-shop looks too "busy"), or use the Corvette teeth/bar in the center of the 53 grille. Anything else is going to require reworking the front sheet metal. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.