Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55 Chevy Gasser ride height

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liquid Wrench, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Pondering a bit on the right look for ride height on my 55 Gasser. It was set up with ladder bars many years ago.

The ride was pretty stiff with lots of clunking and chassis groaning pulling out of off camber driveways etc. Rear suspension felt like it was barely moving. Last weekend, I pulled a hole shot and tore the threads out of the forward rod eye on the passenger side. This afternoon, I got it up on a buddy's lift and decided to pull the ladder bars and see how it worked without them.

When we started pulling the ladder bar bolts, it was apparent that the rear suspension was in a bind pretty hard. After pulling the drivers side ladder bar, the rear leafs sprung hard and when we let it down, the rear of the car sits a few inches lower. It sure rides much better and no wheel hop when lightening 'em up but not sure I like the look.

Any input on how it 'should' look and suggestions on how to raise the rear if I decide to go higher? -It just looks funny to me now but sure rides better. The car will be used as a cruiser, not a racer...Years back, I'd do some airshocks, do people still use them?

Here's a couple before shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like today with the ladder bars removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HammerDown

HammerDown

Looks better without them. I like cars like that a little down in the ass. Looks more business and less street freak-ish...

3. honestly it looks bitchen with a little nose bleed stance
    if it doesnt rub or bottom out run it
    tk

4. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, zero rubbing and the suspension can move freely. (leafs relocated inside frame rails) It just looks a bit odd to me. It feels right driving it, maybe just gotta get used to the look.

Kurt

5. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Not every '55 Gasser was jacked up 50ft in the air back in the day. I think the stance is perfect. Looks Tough

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The dog likes it..................

7. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

If it leaves the line like this one,you can have it sit anyway you want......

Attached Files:

8. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Haha! the dog Lucy, loves riding in this car. It's kinda funny as most dogs don't like loud stuff. When I start up the 55, she starts woo wooing, wiggling and bouncing around. She loves the big back seat.

Thanks guys!

9. High5

High5

Running ladder bars without a floater kit will cause the suspension to bind.

The cleanest way raise the back of the car is to place the springs on top of the rear axle (like mine in this photo). You can use air shocks but the ride will be rough. The stance in the photo is with the engine installed.

[​IMG]

Here's what the underside looks like. The air shocks had not been hooked up at the time of this photo and will get the minimum pressure to run them (which should not affect the ride). These floaters were hand fabricated. But you can buy something similar. I also installed a panhard bar.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. Fogger

Fogger

Your car looks right the way it sits. I built a '55 Gasser in the mid sixties and no one I raced put the springs on top of the axle. I mounted the rear springs under the frame and used lowering blocks to bring the back down. I like the way your is set up and if it handles better now you've got a winner. Search "White Lightnin'" for the story on my Gasser!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Liquid wrench your 55 looks good in the before and after pics. If it rides nicer as is then go with it. Have you ever thought about radius ing the wheel wells?? IMO opening up the wheel wells looks so good on a tri5 gasser. Wade

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

Careful with air shocks. Use a after market shock mount bar connected to frame. Stock mounts in the floor of the truck will rip the pan out.

13. slammed

slammed

Re-arch the springs to raise it 1 1/2 to 2".

14. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Longer shackles or some helper shocks that have a low rate spring on them. I installed a spring pocket kit moving the springs under the rail and put the shackle mount throughout the frame instead of above.

15. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

16. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I think it look awesome with the rear end down a little. Like someone said more purposeful and less street freakish. If it rides great this way, you just hit a homerun. Gary

17. I am a have core Ford guy but I have to admit I have always liked a '55 Chevy that sit right,,your has that look! HRP

18. I think the chute on the back is to heavy and causing the car to squat, maybe loose that thing.....ha ha

19. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I liked the stance befroe, but I really like it now. Besides, your pup seems to dig it.

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's the way I would go.

I just had a set re-arched by a local shop,increased my ride height (and tire clearance) by roughly 2",and it was under $100 bucks.
    What can you buy these days for under $100 that isn't a sandwich or a birthday card?:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't think it looked "street freaky" either way. Can't imagine anyone even thinking the before was too high with most of the tire above the rim covered. I like it either way, and I like slightly higher front, but I'd also want the rear a bit higher than it is. I'd go with either new springs, or a re-arc.

22. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

A set of sliders and the bars being installed correctly or
    or a small shackle on the front of the bars allowing them to float will also ride good.

Godspeed
    MrC.

23. I have to ask. You had ladder bars on leaf springs and when you pulled the ladder bars the rear end didn't flop all over the place? Ladders and leafs have to have floaters, that is why it growned and clunked and eventuallu pulled the heim joint from the ladder bar.

As far as ride height, that is your choice. if it doesn't look good to you then change it. Some of the fellas will tell you that it needs to look and ride like a lumber wagon and others will tell you that it needs to be more of a subtle change in ride height. End of the day it has to look like you want it to look.

24. Weasel

Weasel

25. banginona40

banginona40

Can't be much help on what setup will work the best but I really like the way it sat in the beginning. Looks good both ways but please leave the wheel wells as they are. jmo

26. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

We ran a very competative 56 in the mid 60's (I was about 18). At one time it held the NHRA and AHRA records @ 3600 pounds. We tried to duplicate the Ramcharger leaf spring design and it seemed to work. Regardless, It basically had a stock ride height. I don't remember anyone from that era that placed the springs on top of the rearend...maybe a street squirrel!

3131_001.pdf

Attached Files:

27. Butch M

Butch M

looks good cool car

28. Coneboy

Coneboy

Sweet ride. Looks good to me. I think a little higher in the front would be cool too!

29. Ill be one of the odd men out here.

It don't look bad now because its a neat car, but I think it looked much better before, like a great car. It looks like its sitting on old tired worn springs.

Form follows function, which means looks are second and having things work are first. You can have your cake and eat it too, but it will take some doing.

A rearch, you can do that at home, or a custom spring and caltracks type bars will work great. Sliders and ladder bars will too.

30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

In the "after" photos, it looks like you have a few dead bodies in the trunk. I like the "before " photo look way better.