Register now to get rid of these ads!

History '55 Chevy Gasser "Green Seen"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, May 14, 2013.

1. No leads, but I'll spread the word..,I think we just did, he he he.

2. bump, anyone with more pics, pretty please:eek:

3. Found another pic on Gassers Inc. sight over the weekend.., come on now, someone has got to know more about/have more pics of this car. Green Seen 2.jpg

4. thunderplex

thunderplex

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

6. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

The color picture is from the Jan 1968 Rodder and Super/Stock magazine and the others are an article from the Oct 1967 issue of Drag Strip.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      414.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      498.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      510.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      517.5 KB
      Views:
  7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wouldn't exactly call 40 posts in a short time "ignored".

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Only problem is, unless my memory is decieving me, this car ran those numbers on fuel, which would mean it is not a gasser.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

10. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Some of the pics show A/XS on the rear part of the roof.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

11. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

The class designation is explained in the article pictures that I posted last night if you double-click them and zoom in.

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

Cool car hope some info comes to light on it.

13. I noticed the "X/S" designation for "Experimental Stock" awhile back and figure the car probably ran methanol in one of the injected funny car classes, but nitro, WOW! what a surprise! Even so this car reportedly ran in the 8 second zone eventually, which I believe would have been competitive for awhile against tube chassis funny cars then. I'm still plenty impressed for its time, and the fact that those guys had the huevos to do it/ drive it. It would be a show stopper today except the price and availability for nitro being so out of control. PS. I am gonna call "Bull Shit" on 2350 lbs. with an iron head rat, and a bunch of 55 Chevy still there. I know there was a 2800 lb. Injected funny class, as there was consideration of running our old PC&J '56 in it back when, and 2800-2850 is do-able with the rat, & mostly steel body and frame.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  14. an1951

an1951

That 1955 "Green Seen", I remember it too at Lions, old Fontana, old Irwindale. It was fast, loud and on 60% NITRO. Nice guys from San Fernando Valley. Car had B/B 427 chevy, Torqueflite, Pontiac/Olds 4:11. All this on a stock 1955 chevy chassis with straight axle up front. Ran ets 8.60s-8.80s but on KILL all the time. But that mention 2350 lbs car, nope, it was more like 2800 lbs with driver. Still that F**ken fast for it time. ALSO, anybody remembers the 55 Chevy "Rats Sass" at Lions and old Fontana? It ran the injected funny car and altered class in the Los Angeles area, 1968-1971. Good old days. Lions Drag strip, Old Irwindale Raceway, OCIR, Los Angeles area, 1955-1983. Thanks for the Memory and The HAMB people, neat stuff !

Attached Files:

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Until Pro-Comp came into existance in '74, drag cars running on straight alcohol were pretty thin on the ground, almost non-existant. Any NHRA/AHRA class that allowed alcohol also allowed nitro, so a dedicated alky drag car wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell. So if you are looking at a sixties drag car, its pretty much gas or nitro. Alcohol drag cars are new-fangled stuff. And for all the guys out there that have never seen an honest to god blown gasser, the alky cars dont look sound or act anything like a blown blackie carbon burner...

16. Bitchen article, info & personal recollections. Now fellow HAMBERS, Lets try to find out what happened to it. Anyone here know Darrow or Starkey? Hope they are still "vertical".

17. slammed

slammed

Nice post STEVE! It was a gasser before it ran the other fuels. Those numbers w/cams and heads that put's the modern techies to shame.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You have no clue just how much horsepower a 60% load is worth.

Where do you get the information that the car was ever a gasser? The article states that it was built to run XS, theres no mention of it running gas on Draglist, and I have never seen a photo of the car with a gas class designation on the side. Can you support this statement with any sort of evidence?

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I may be able to provide some pics of Bunkers car before it went to alston, but it will take a while to find them. I agree, it was WAAAAAY cooler in its A-arm incarnation.

20. Shiftee

Shiftee

Always loved this car but never had any luck on other pics?

21. Bumpity Bump.., anyone know what happened to this car after its racing days?

22. Geri

Geri

Bob Bunkers '55 was always green- he bought it in '59 after graduation from school.it had a 6 cyl stick shift, not long after he got the '55 he bought a 348 with 3 carbs and vertex for it, it didn't like the original 3 speed trans and I worked a trade for him to get his first 4 speed . he raced it with the 348 until mid '63 at lodi,(kingdon) and Vacaville California. in April '63 I bought a new plymouth 426 superstock, we both worked at Aerojet Gen. Sacramento, (we also went to high school together).calling bobto tell him my new plymouth was here he said we have to race, "the factory cannot build a plymouth that will beat my '55."
    that night on the way home from aerojet, (we worked swingshift) we had to race on a straight section of road between Aerojet and folsom. I had jut got the plymouth that day- still on skinny street tires but- the race is on, we lined up, his 4 speed got ahead of me till I shifted the 426 auto to second gear and I literally flew past him. he flashed his lights we stopped -he said, something went wrong with my car- it shut off and you went past
    me. I said no- the plymouth finally had traction, we raced two more times he lost 3 for 3.
    the next day he ordered a 409 for the '55. with the 409 it ran B/gas, I "think" h got hilborns for the409 -but that was long ago.later he stepped it up to the 427 BBC. with hilborn injection. we didn't meet up in racing again for some time as his a gasser and mine a SS car we didnt race at the dragstrips nor on the street.
    fast forward to 1975 Bob running in pro gas, a class with a 9.60 minimum at Sacramento raceway I had a willys by then with a440 mopar not a bad ride but not very fast either-I think around 125?(memory again) I had an opportunity to get a 426 hemi for the willys and did- who wouldn't? with hilborn injection/clutch flite on the hemi and Bob with the 427, injected BBC 4 speed we were to qualify for the last of the 8 car pro gas race of the day, Bob told me" you can't build a hemi that will beat my BBC" the boy will never learn.
    we ran for the final qualifying spot in pro gas- he ran a respectable 9.71 (9.60 minimium)
    I ran a 9.69 @ 145 I was in ,he was on the trailer. the next race he attended he had a 6-71 injected on the 55. although we didn't race again his car was a lot quicker/faster than my willys- in 1977 my chute tangled in the wheelie bars and that ended my gasser daze. bob went on to modify the car,chassis and engine till he ended with the awesome BBC that ran mid6's over 215-I never touched those times. always a friend then and now 2000 miles apart we still chat on the phone at times. my willys - injected 426 Hemi until the crash of '77. Sacramento raceway. I had just had the car repainted pearl white when the chute incident occurred. I built my chassis/roll cage and engines.
    thems wuz the daze. willys wreck 77.jpg willylaunch (2).jpg willys wreck 77.jpg willylaunch (2).jpg

303racer, Torkwrench and Deuces like this.
  23. Geri

Geri

Dave Riolo's 55 temptation, was a low9 performer with a lenco 4 speed and huge BBC.
    trying to qualify for the 9.60 Minimum of 9.60 his car was running in the 9.30/40's Pro-gas he decided to "short shift" it to slow it down,shifting at lower RPM's it ran 8.90's, big engines like to pull hard at lower RPMS.

24. Is this your old car?

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Willys-Pickup/54371

Chucky likes this.