Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 55 chevy gasser find!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gripelec, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Butch M

Butch M

Hey great find. love them gasser's

2. You scared me man. When I saw the thread title and the fact that you were in Austin I thought that you'd scored the old gasser that I've been trying to buy for the last three years or so. It is also a '55 chevy, it was supposedly raced in North Texas until the owner moved here to go to work for the State Government. I found out about the car at the owner's retirment party. His plan was to "fix it up" after he retired but it is still sitting in his garage barely visible under piles of boxes. You have motivated me to go to his house this weekend. Good luck with that car, I'll look for it around town.

3. gripelec

gripelec

Good deal, take a box of chocolates for the misses, let me know if you get it. Ill be more than happy to help out if you need anything.

4. I painted mine '69 Camaro Hugger Orange. It's bitchin'.

5. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

cant wait for more pics!!!

6. gripelec

gripelec

Let's see some pics!!!!!

7. Cool find. Enjoy the hell out of it.;)

8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Stevie Wonder did a song called Jammin' or "master blaster" in 1980
    Mad Max "beyond the thunderdome" came out in 1985
    So I doubt if it is refering to these [if the car's history is much older]

Another likely explaination comes from the Gym's in the 60's and 70's , the term "master blaster" was anybody who could lift heavy weight "sets" [ blasting sets ]

Joe Weider was sometimes called "master blaster"
    Maybe this "heavyweight" could lift the front?

I personally think they were simply refering to it "blasting" down the strip like a rocket [ "blast off" ]

Dont re-paint it [ there is plenty of time to do that later, if you change your mind ]
    You really have hit the "Holy Grail" here [ a barn find with race history ] no faux patina is needed here.

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new aquisition

9. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Here's a picture of the M&H 275-60's (28 X 10's) and Moroso Drag Specials on my '62 Biscayne.

Attached Files:

10. Nice find,.. congrats. Another angle you could take if you want to preserve the cars history,..... repaint it in that bahama yellow hue (you'll probably never see another `55 this colour). Keep the name but take some artistic license on its reproduction, and maybe just a small characture of mickey's head on the trunk. This way anyone who remembered the car would still recognize it and talk to you about it. Just my opinion .,......

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting find!

12. Oh yeah! Another 55 gasser find, I love it! Nice find good luck , great to see all the 55 Hambers chiming in. Had to get my 2 cents in. As always CGM.:)

13. 35outlaw

35outlaw

Some one has a 55 chevy over on Atlanta Craig's list for less than $4000 I thought someone might be interested

14. gripelec

gripelec

Ok, just flipped the axle, and what a difference. Put period correct wheels and mounted them with 29.5x11. wide mt slicks. I bought a olds axle and am going to run 456 gears with 31 spline axles. Car looks soooo much better. Ill post more pics later but she's looking like she's supposed to.

Attached Files:

15. RGG

RGG

Great find! It gives me hope that I will still find a 55 chevy 2 door post for a reasonable price. My first car was a 55 chevy Bel Air two door post with sbc 4spd and 373 posi that I sold in 1982 for $3,100. Now anything that is a basic solid builder is 10k around here.

Yep, I am wishing I still had it now.

Congratulations!

RGG

16. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

looks way better like you said... WAY better..

keep that back fender off those tires tho or they wont last a week LOL

17. Score!

Leave the paint for a while...

18. Gigantor

Gigantor

I like the paint... reminds me a little of something you'd see in a Butthole Surfers video... back when there were music videos. The mouse is just scary enough to be cool. The master blaster "script" has gotta go though!
    Sweet find and excellent choice on the wheels!

19. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Great find! Looks better now too. Take your time and have fun with it.:cool:

20. 42 chevy

42 chevy

That is looking awesome. Great save.

21. bluemeanie

bluemeanie

Wheels really made a big difference. Good luck-Have Fun!

22. Looks like a Mickey Mouse build to me. Sorry I couldn't resist. :eek: :D

Pretty slick old car. If I was changing the wheels anyway I'd probably paint it and make it my own.

Tires are going to be a crap shoot. If you go too small you won't get off the line and if you go to big you're right where you are now.

Keep us posted.

23. roughneck424

roughneck424

Sweet - Super Cool.
    Have fun with that. I know a great lil place just north of town where it would fit right in!

24. Herdez

Herdez

Wow! That looks 10 times better!!

25. Butch M

Butch M

Oh yes wheels and tires made a Big difference. looks good.......

26. Agreed, much better that way than the Snail look. We had a guy nicked named Snail in High School, he liked the stink bug look and his car was that way.

27. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

awesome find!

dropping the back down and swapping the slots on made a HUGE difference too. i think the Mickey mouse faces gotta go as well, might make the Master Blaster writing not look so bad and be a little more tolerable.

the seat looks familiar but i can't place it, lawn tractor maybe?

Dave

28. gripelec

gripelec

Thanks guys!!! Just ordered up fenderwell headers from speedway. 211.08 delivered to my doorstep, what a deal. Patriot brand. Going to paint them white. Purchasing a tunnelram this week and deciding on which holly carbs to run. Motor has huge cam, 40 over(427) Thinking of somewhere between 600-750 mechanichal secondaries. Oval port so narrows down the search. Thinking about weind or edelbrock (early edelbrock) as well as a few offy"s. Just got in some 3m products to take off Mickey, maybe all of it will come off but Mickey for sure. Last decision is wheather to split the spear and go with a 2 inch higher radious or leave it alone. I'm going to run her like this for a while and feel it out. The seat is either a lawn mower seat or boat. I'm leaning tward the lawnmower. Definatly pulling that out. Trying to locate an old pair of buckets or going to get the Fiberglas lowback seats from speedway. There seat cover looks pretty good as well but they have a warning to buyers "Before you buy these are 13"wide and measurements are needed before purchase". I'm not a big guy but that did make me scratch my head. Ill probly end up getting them. Keep y'all posted in a week or 2. Thanks for all the support.

29. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

I know they will cost ya but early to mid 60s fullsize GM buckets are great in the tri 5s......... oh and they (Speedway) arent kidding bout the seats, the sides are coming up at 13 inches. I had to put a pillow on one i had, lol

30. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Mock up a cardboard seat at 13" put it on a chair and sit in it, before you order one. It's not a lot of room.....;)

Remember you might end up wanting a bit of padding in there too.