Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Chevy Gas Tank - Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, Apr 13, 2015.

1. So I recently replaced my entire fuel system and have had a reoccurring problem... I can not get the the filler neck to seat properly into the tank.

For those of you who are not familiar with the set-up, there is an o-ring on the end of the filler neck that enters the tank. This provides the seal and there is no other support other than the bracket near the top inner-quarter by the gas door. There is no factory "sleeve" or other supports to keep the neck from slipping out or breaking its seal under vibration or weight of a filled tank.

Every time I "fix" it or think it is sealed correctly, I end up getting another leak after more gas is added or quick ride after it has vibrated loose.

I just ordered the "fuel resistant" Permatex silicone from Napa and that will be in tomorrow, but before I applied that, I thought I would see if there were any other suggestions...

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. The only way that can work is if you have a very tight mount between your gas door and your tank, make sure that your tank is pulled up good and tight, in the proper location and that your mount by the gas door is not weak. if you don't then no amount of sealer will ever fix it.

3. OK, Thanks. I'm confident everything is in properly and in the right location but I'll be sure to double check.

4. Wish I was close enough to give you some hands on, I have wrestled with a couple of those over the years. When you get it right you'll go, "Oh hey" :)

5. x2 when you get it right it will work. Lube the o ring and force it into the tank. When everything is lined up it works. Did you put a pad on top of the tank to cushion it to the body. If so take it out. Unless it was a bargain basement tank then all bets are off. Their was a run several years back that were wrong. The inlet was not located in the tank correctly.

6. Model T1

Model T1

It's been several years since I replaced the gas tank in my 55 Chevy wagon. But what was written is the way I remember it. The upper small bracket is supposed to cause enough downward pressure to hold the donut in the tank tube. Make sure the donut is not split or anything and be sure the tank sits where it belongs. Believe me it's a lot harder with a wagon tank.

7. Thanks for the input... I bought the tank last year off eBay. Forget the brand name, but hopefully the problem resides in the positioning of the tank, not the tank itself.

8. You can weld or bolt a small strip of metal to the outer side of the trunk above the "hump" for the filler neck. Then put a hose clamp around it to add support to the filler.