Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 chevy brake adjusters? What else works?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE47, Jan 30, 2008.

1. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Anyone know if any other brake adjusters will work with stock front brakes? I'm told that no-one makes new ones? Anyone?

2. Tony

Tony

3. fiftyfivegasser

fiftyfivegasser

Purchased my brake rebuilding kits (adjusters included) from www.ecklers.com

Fit okay and same adjuster level as the stock ones.

4. Ramblur

Ramblur

Thinking I converted mine to self adjusting style using hdw from
    a 63 Impala. Should be available about anywhere. Iirc the only
    issue was one of the star wheels not lining up with the slot on
    the backing plate. Wasn't really an issue tho. Do a little digging,
    I believe the 55 front shoes are the same as 63 rear shoes and
    hence the new hdw.

5. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Thanks guys, Eckler's it was. Complete kit and shipping was only $45. Thanks for the other info too, good to know for next time. ...Jersey Mike.

6. KATFISH

KATFISH

7. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Shafer Classic Reproductions manufactures self-adjust conversion kits for them. I put them on my '57. The price is just a couple bucks more than a manual-adjust kit. It's about as simple a kit to install as you'll ever find, and a great upgrade.

(813) 628-0092 is the number I have for them. They're in Tampa, Fl.

I've got manual drums on my '62 Suburban, and drove them on my '54 Buick too--I've come to the conclusion that the single biggest problem with vintage drum brakes is that after 1,000 miles or less of regular driving,the drums are out of adjustmet enough to make them feel sloppy and perform poorly. We're not out there every other week crawling under the car to adjust the brakes, but they need it.

-Brad

8. Well, you're supposed to have your lazy fat ass under there at 2,000 miles doin' an oil change anyway, so quit your complainin' and stop driving like Mario Andretti :) ;) .

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

"fat ass"?! Well that's just mean.

-Brad

10. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

And here I thought Frank was nice guy!! That is mean. HAHAHA. I can't speak for Brad's ass but I'm pretty lazy myself.

11. Andy

Andy

The self adjuster stuff and all the springs etc are available fron Autozone for about $10 a wheel

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also...I looked it up in Bendix catalog, then got distracted before I wrote down the number...will try to get it, but I think interchange was all Chevy from the adoption of Bendix brakes (1952??) til 1962. It is inconceivable that this is actually discontinued through normal parts stores! And, it makes sense that '63 self adjust fits.

13. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I think it just matters how hard the store wants to look. I got them through Ecklers. Whole, complete kits with hold-downs, springs and all the little stuff.