Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 chev with TH350

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jdpaxton, Jan 25, 2019.

1. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

I am putting a TH350 into a 55 chev. with 327. I see that Speedway lists a separate drive shaft for the swap. I have the original drive shaft and was hoping just to use it. The TH350 was originally behind a 74 Impala with 350engine. Is there something going on with the length of yoke because the splines seem the same. I`m not at the build location so or I would simply try the shaft. Thanks

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Should be a bolt in with the original driveshaft unless the Turbo 350 has an odd length (long) tailhousing, at the most may need to change the yoke on the transmission end of the driveshaft.

3. Pretty sure the Impala had the long tail shaft .This deal is probably for the short one.
    Post pictures of what you have.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If the engine sits in the stock "location", even if it's been updated to side mounting, and your TH-350 trans is the one with a 6 inch extension housing, your stock driveshaft will fit, but a yoke change will be needed. Rear trans/cross=-member mount? side-mount kit for the TH-350? This all is assuming you also have the stock rear-end.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Using original 55 front mounts and a tube style trans rear crossmember. The original drive shaft yoke bearing and seal surface is 3 3/4 so that is short by some I have seen. I guess I will have to wait until I get there to see how it fits, not knowing the tailshaft length. Thanks to all that tried to help.

6. And now you will get a lot of post telling you that's too long a distance between the mounts. I agree its not ideal. However it will work ok. Ive never seen a trans mounted in this manner break. Ive seen broken auto trans bellhousings. but the damage was caused by loose trans to engine bolts or a badly cracked flexplate.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Back about 1970 I bought a 48 chevy pu with that mount setup like that Had a hard time keeping the bellhousing bolts tight and the motor flopped around like newly landed fish. Replaced with side mounts.

8. It sounded like you already had the trans. ??

9. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

On two 55's with 350's I used the original V8 front mounts and the Eckler's rear mounts that go from bottom bolts of the 350 to the factory 55 rear mount frame brackets.

10. jdpaxton

jdpaxton

Mark...Yes already had trans.
    Trans side mounts seem like a good idea...……..but then no rear crossmember?.....I don`t know if I want to dangle a trans off the rear engine like the original 55`s. I recall putting a 4sp years ago into a 56 and used a rear crossmember, no tranny side mounts and just beat the hell out of that 265. I never had one bit of trouble. I think I will make sure the tranny bolts are checked and locktited instead and keep with the original plan. This is only going to be a city cruiser. Thank you for the input.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^This, you'll need some addition anti-torsional mounts due to the stock front engine mounts that are very close together^^^. But, I'd also use a rear trans-mount/cross-member just to be safe. The stock transmissions just "hang out there", but they're cast iron, and not aluminum like a TH-350. TH-350's are also know for having a weak bell-housing when used for drag racing. Front, middle, and end mounts, so-to-speak. That's what I'd do. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.