Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Buick/family rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danger, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Danger

Danger

McTullis- Very nice, are you on dropped springs or bags?

2. McTullis

McTullis

3" drop springs from Jamco. They rule.

3. Danger

Danger

I've been working on the Buick a little in between getting the chop ready for summer. Got the oil changed today and will work on the brakes later this week. Im trying to post a video but it looks like it wont work.

4. Danger

Danger

5. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Great find man, I love 55 Buick 4doors. Nice solid ride.

6. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

My Brother and I took his Super, "Edna" (named after the original owner) from Seattle to L.A. back in the 80s with out missing a beat. It got more stable the faster we went. when the cop pulled us over, he asked "Do you realize you were doing TWICE the speed limit"? That's Mount St. Helens just before she blew. 2 weeks after we got back she shattered a piston. sold it as is to a collector in Sweden. Yeah...still kickin' ourselves.....

[​IMG]

7. skoh73

skoh73

That sure is a beauty. I hope you aren't serious about chopping it, that would be a shame. Good luck.

8. x-shift

x-shift

Nice find, Luke! My uncle's went from "stock" to "stocker" when we were kids. He would drive us around for hours in the orchard, where he built his own little "dirt track". We'll be pulling this one off the hill this summer to see what's left...
    88.jpg

882.jpg

9. kid415

kid415

322 Nailhead with a Dynaflow nice score! Change the tires,bleed the brakes,tune it up and drive that Bad Boy off into the Sunset!!!

10. I like it! Those era Buicks always rode so smooth too. Keep the progress pix comin'.

Bob

11. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Awesome! Lookin good already! Keep us updated. We are building a 56 buick.

12. csimonds

csimonds

Danger, That Buick is going to be a Bitchen family ride!
    Chuck

13. that will be a cool ride....lots of room for everyone

14. Danger

Danger

I’m not chopping it! I should be more specific, I am working on my chopper, getting it ready for summer. I love the stories! I hope to have it on the road by the end of the month.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

15. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Car looks really good has potental. You plan on making it a custom or leaving it stock.

16. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I love those Buicks. What a great find. Keeping that car low and close to stock is a good decision. And what could make a better family car than a 4-dr hardtop? Looks like a win-win to me.

17. Danger

Danger

I just finished up rebuilding my brakes on my Buick- New wheel cylinders, turned the drums, new shoes. My problem is the brake adjuster is all the way in and the drums are still tight, some worse than others. The worst will only turn with the wheel on and with allot of force. It&#8217;s not just the back or I would think it was the parking brake; the shoes are the same as the old and are on correctly, I used the service manual to check! Here is a pic of the back.

[​IMG]

18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I had a similar issue with the new shoes in my Pontiac. The shoes should really be ground down to the proper radius, but it's really hard to find a shop that will still do it. Around here, nobody will touch them.

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Those cars NEED to be two tone. They look too big if they are all one color...

20. Nice find. Welcome to the club.

21. Straight Eight

Straight Eight
    from Howell, Mi

I know just little about the 55's as I worked in a Buick dealership back then. The main problem they had at about 30,000 miles was the sprague clutch in the Dyna Flow. It might be a good idea when you have the tranny out, to check that little item. The Century model had a reputation for being a "hot" number.

22. Danger

Danger

I centered the drums and that seems to have helped, Im going to take it to a buddys shop next week and give it another go. Thanks for the info everyone!

23. love 50's buicks nice Find

24. Danger

Danger

The brakes are done and now its on to the suspention. I got the front were I want it and now I think a little more in the back and she'll be good. I just cut the springs and plan on doing new shocks this week too. I'm looking to get some tires for it too here in the next couple weeks, I'm thinking of going with the same ones that are in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Nice car! I love 4 door hardtops and I really love any 50s green. Looks like it would just float down the road...

26. philo426

philo426

The engine sounds good, no misses or anything!

27. Danger

Danger

Dimand back white wall should be here in a couple weeks, went with a 215 70R, 2.75in white wall. Its a inch shorter than a stock tire and should give it a real good look!

28. Danger

Danger

Spent the weekend doing some cleaning, I plan on repainting it all next year but I wanted to clean it up for the time being. Here are some before and after pics.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Subscribed! That's a great find. Really cant go wrong with those Buicks.

30. old me

old me
    from Iowa

Good job on the Buick!!
    I'll be keeping an eye on your build-my wife bought one from her aunt a few years ago and was supposed to be my spring project,hope after my chemo treatments are over, I can get to it.
    Thanks for posting your progress!!

Jim