Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Belvedere rearend swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Our 55 is alive!!, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

Wanting to put rear disc brakes on my stock rearend in my 55 Belvedere. Any ideas? Thanks Jerry

2. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

That's a tough one. I'm not sure if anyone makes a kit for a tapered axle rear end. Might have to switch it over to a 60s B-body rear end or something like that and then switch to disc. Maybe check with AAJ or Scarebird.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. My 1940 Oz Dodge has had 4 wheel discs since about 1974/75.......the stub axles are 1941-54 US style but used up to 1962 here in Oz and the diff was a 1962 Oz Chrysler diff that was the same as the 1955/56 Plymouth..........yep a tapered axle....what I did was to remove the rear brake drum and knock/drill out the rivets holding it to the tapered axle hub............this can then be bolted back onto the axle with the centre nut...........I found that an Oz 1969/70 vented front disc rotor from an Oz Valiant had a removable hub and fitted the bare rotor onto the tapered axle hub which needed 1/8th machined from its OD to allow it to sit hard inside the rotor, then used some countersunk cap screws to attach the rotor to the hub & used the hub bolt holes to guide wheel studs being inserted from the rear..........that got the rotor mounted..........I then removed the rear brake bits complete and cut the rear brake backing plate down to just being a seal & shim retainer........I then found a rear disc caliper from an 1974/75 Oz Falcon that used vented rear discs, sat it over the rotor and made up a caliper bracket that used 4 of the 5 seal/shim bolts to hold it on............DAH!, DAH!.......a tapered axle diff with vented disc brakes.........as I used an Oz Leyland 11" vented disc for the front I therefore had 4 wheel discs..............the rear disc setup worked fine, however I eventually had some problems with the outer axle bearing cracking and machining the inside of the diff housing about 15 yrs ago and had difficulty finding another 62 Chrysler diff so replaced the whole rear end with a 1990 Oz falcon disc brake rear end..........that bolted in anyway.........I've still kept the calipers, brackets & other bits but its no point sending them to you.......but first off..........check your brake drums, are they held onto the hub by rivets?...........if so then let your mind do some imagineering.........lol.......Andy Douglas.........btw I've now had the car since 1971.......lol.............andyd.

Hnstray likes this.

5. Exactly.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front discs, a modern, dual-circuit master cylinder, and a booster, along with rebuilt rear brakes, would give this car fully modern braking capabilities.