Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-64 chevy rears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixinarowjoe, Sep 1, 2003.

1. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

i just wasted a bearing on my 55 rear thats in my 50 chevy ,a friend gave me 2 axles out of a 60 chevy ,but they are longer ,the bearings on the 60 axles are in good shape ,will they fit the 55 axle , also what are the axle lenghts for the 55-64 chevy rears
    joe

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Why not just buy a new bearing and put it on the 55 axle? By the time you get it pressed off one axle and reinstalled on the '55 you don't know how long it will last. Haven't checked lately but are axle bearings that expensive?

Frank

3. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

If my memory serves me the 1955 rear axle/bearing is unique to itself. the 56-57 are interchangable and 58 and up are the same. If you do a search on topics, I believe this was recently covered here on the HAMB with in the last couple of weeks. Good Luck.

4. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

80 bucks a piece , last i checked , these look good and i was hoping to save a few bucks ,but i just might have to bite the bullitt
    joe

5. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

thanks totall
    joe

6. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Autozone's website lists this:
    Timken # RW507ER
    and they have it for $46 or so. It seems to be the one for ALL 55 Chevy cars, regardless of engine or model.

7. k9racer

k9racer

If you have a drain plug on the bottom of your housing it takes the larger wheel bearing 57 58 If no drain plug it takes the small brgs 55 56 I am talking about a passenger car not a truck. go with the new brgs. good luck

8. IF you do use the used bearings, DO NOT use the old seal it will sure as heck leak ,no matter how good it looks.

9. Kustm52

Kustm52

I'm running a '55 housing with '59 "chunk" and axles in my chevy....used the '59 axles with the tapered roller bearings rather than the 55 with the ball bearings. When you slide the axle into the housing, the '59 bearing sticks out of the housing just a little...leaving a slight gap when you tighten the cap down. What I did was take the original '55 backing plates, and cut the center out (around the bolt holes), making a spacer to space the '59 backing plate out. that way the cap fits flush when you install it. Use sealer on both sides of the spacer. I've ran mine this way for about 35-40 thousand miles with no problems...

Brian

10. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

hey guys thanks for the input , my local parts store hes the bearing and seal ,i dropped off the axle on my way home from work they will press the new one on and i will pick it up tommorrow after work total cost will be about 65 bucks
    and i'm back on the road

joe