Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 55-6-7 Chevy social forum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Is there not an active following on the H.A.M.B. for trifive chevies? I looked at the social groups and the one I see is pretty much dead.

I have a 57 Belair hardtop that's all original--- but I just found a 150 sedan that seems like a great start for modifying. It's straight and solid, 6cyl 3spd 2 door post. The cheapie without the back seat or anything.
    Anyway-- I can look for another forum for ideas but the H.A.M.B. of course was my first choice.
    I'm sure a thousand pages will come up with a search so that'll be fine too. Just wondering.

daniel wilson likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You lucky dog, I can't get enough of those 150's.
    Post here whether you get a social circle going or not.
    Here's one with a little story, if you haven't heard it yet, and if you want I'll post it.

20160628_175619.jpg

3. Great Denny- I don't know the story.

(Do the back windows roll down in that beaut?)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Baumi likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like you've found a 1957, Model 150, Utility Sedan, AKA "Business Coupe" to some. Pretty rare car. The same car the Black Widow cars, and clones, were made with. I tend to align more with the 56 Models, but any Tri-Five gets my attention. There are a couple of Tri-Five Chevrolet dedicated sites on the net, and a couple with Tri-Five sections, but I come to the HAMB for different reasons. I have a friend who deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts; if you need anything, he most likely has it. PM me the the info if you'd like it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wish I could say it was mine and yes it is (was)? a beauty of a 57.
    Many here have heard the story but be'ns you asked.
    Many reasons for my infatuation with these cars, my second car was a yellow/white 57 BelAir 2 dr ht, bought about 1970 while in high school, there also was a yellow/white 57 150 model handyman wagon owned by a local truck mechanic, bone stock and perfect.
    I lusted after that wagon, partially because my buddy had a yellow 57 four door wagon and he also wanted that two door. Saw it around the area for many years then it disappeared.
    The turquoise one pictured was also a local car, driven by the proverbial little old lady, but I only saw it once or twice every couple of years and always going down the road, never parked.
    Still living in the house pictured but the photo was taken about 17 years ago.
    Get home from work and THERE'S THAT 57 PARKED RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE. Ran in the house and grabbed my camera and get one shot off and F#@&, dead batteries, run back in house, fresh batteries in camera, go back out and F#@&, its gone, never to be seen again.:(
    Completely factual story and none of the neighbors knew anything about it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  6. [​IMG]

Here's my current one. I don't have the deal done on the 150 yet, but I'll post pics.

Denny - now that you tell it, I do recall the story. Didn't remember that it was that particular car, but the story.

Thanks Butch- if (hopefully) I need stuff I'll get ahold of you.
    Greg

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tri 5 2 door post cars have always been my favorites. Tighter, lighter, less air and water leaks, no messing with window Flippers as in hardtops. Besides I think the post roof line looks better. Just my opinion.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    modelkitbasher likes this.
  8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Have you tried chevytalk.com?

9. Yep the Hamb tri five social forum is pretty much dead. Don't know why?

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

We dont have much trouble firing up a conversation about em here on the main forum.
    Use to be a lot of tri five haters on here, and Im sure there are several still lurking around but thats ok, I still like em even tho some say they may have became cliche. I still like em generally more so with some old school character or originality.....Different strokes for different folks.....I started out years ago on the chevy forums and tri fives were my main focus but I found this place and was glad to see a variety of all kinds of stuff, I like em all but a 55 was and is my first favorite even tho they are usually out of my price range these days unless one is rougher than a night in jail, then I have been known to work something out, but its been a while:rolleyes:

11. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I can understand why some guys would lose interest in a car that is plentiful and popular and you can get every part by mail order. It's kinda like being a Yankees fan - there's not much underdog appeal going.

That being said I still absolutely love em and am building a 55 on the cheap, and will happily devour anything trifive posted here.
    To me the HAMB is the best site for real opinions and good taste, and the other trifive sites feel a little light duty (in general).

12. Yes. '55 is my first love- When I saw American Graffiti I remember asking my dad what that car was. Then, being a kid I quickly figured that nobody else probably knows/cares about a 55 chevy so I'll just find one no problem- cheap. I was kinda wrong. I did buy a 55 belair hardtop when I was 19 or 20. It sat without much attention paid to it until I was planning my wedding- a week after I turned 22. Dad decided he'd buy it to help me out. Later, after the car was already jambed and final blocked, he decided that he already had a 57 and didn't need a 55- sold it to a guy that had never done a car but he was pretty well set up. New interior from danchuck, body all but painted and I had found a genuine 55 265 power pack- external oil filter engine at the Portland swap meet. Wish I'd've seen it finished. Orange/red and ivory v8 car and the only power window 55 I've seen in person.

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I go to tri-five forums when I need info or just B.S.

14. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Great White Buffalo!

Here is my 57 150 (not utility sedan.) that I am currently building into a gasser. I have a build thread on here and at trifive.com.
    20170403_204746.jpg

Butch M and low budget like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's gonna be tasty Monte.
    Please tell me that front end will be about a foot lower when all the weight is on it.
    Please!

16. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I sat a couple big boys on the frame horns and it barely dropped a bit. I am going to see what it does when I get the engine in it and if it still looks too tall I am going to pull a couple of leaves out of it. But I agree with you that it is too tall right now.

17. belair

belair

Awesome car. I love them two toned like a 55. Congrats on scoring one. Denny, you have to remember that God has a wicker sense of humor.

18. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

19. Look at the data plate on the front right of the firewall. You see 1211B . That's the utility no back seat rear window fixed.