Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-59 Chevy Pick-up Speaker Placement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BZNSRAT, May 13, 2012.

1. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Getting ready to do the interior on my 55 pick-up. I am going to put the stereo in the glove-box so I can keep the interior mostly uncut. However, I need some ideas on where to place the speakers.

Any help would be welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Good question. Not sure where mine will go, either.

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Kick panels. A few vendors sell kick panels with built-in speakers. This one from Brothers: [​IMG]

4. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

If you're trying to hide it how about under the dash where the radio would go and under the light switch. There should be holes already there to bolt to.
    or
    They sell kick panels with speakers in them. Good Luck!

5. Algon

Algon

Do you have an original speaker box? We used those and often built small boxes in the sides of the cab above the tank but in my 59 I removed the tank.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The original speaker was in a metal box just above the windshield.

I've put them in the kick panels, only small ones fit and you have to cut a hole.

Some guys put them in the doors, usually a pain to get the wires to survive.

In my latest I put a big gas tank in the back of the truck, and just got a cheap speaker box with two speakers in it from walmart, and put a little amp on top of it, and run an ipod thru that. The sound is ok with the speakers behind the seat.

7. trukin55

trukin55

I had two 6x8 speaker boxes in the corners behind the seat by the gas tank and two 3-1/2's in the kick panels. Worked well. Re-doing the truck now. the gas tank has been taken out and will probably do a box behind the seat and do the kick panels again.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Kick panels and/or in boxes behind the seat on top of the tank.

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

is the gas tank still in the cab?

10. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Yes tank still in (love the smell), thanks for the help thus far guys!

11. donsz

donsz

I have two speakers in the stock location above the rear-view mirror (common kit from a classic parts supplier) and two in the kick panels (also from parts supplier). Works OK for me, but the radio is not that powerful (custom sound usa1) in terms of wattage. Also, I wouldn't say the speakers are top quality. For me it is just fine, but I think if you want really booming sound, a different approach would be better.

12. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Thanks for all the help thus far!
    Here is one idea. Looking at mine, it will be tight back there. Would 4 say 4x6 speakers produce more volume than 2 4x6??-forgive me, I know nothing about car audio.
    I have looked under the dash and there is space (I just wonder how it would sound with the speakers pointing straight down).

Attached Files:

13. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

You will get ok sound with the speakers pointing down, if you can try to angle the slighty. Yes 4 is louder than 2. If you are looking to get maximum sound out go with a component setup(small woofer/seperate tweeter). This will allow you to mount the tweeter in a slightly better location. Look for a head unit with a good eq built in and you will be able to tune it to get the most out of the speakers.

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

id think tucked up under the dash somehow would be the only way to get decent speakers. heard a lot of guys have issues with the doors. my truck had one in the kick panels for a while. not that great....

15. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Ended putting one in each corner of the cab (beteen the tank and the cab corners we squeezed them in). Then we put two under the dash. Can't see a thing! Used an amp and ipod, didn't touch the dash. Radio delete will do back in. BTW Done with all the paint except the door jambs. Gettin' closer!

16. I've never seen one of the original speaker boxes- could anyone "show-and-tell"?

17. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I need to do the same thing

Attached Files:

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Can we have some pix.
    B.B.

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

bznsrat that box is a neat idea. somehow "stilt" a box above the gas tank, that may be a good starting point.........

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

haha! Don't put nothing atop of the tank. Also best if you replace the rubber seal and make sure the tank is grounded. That being said, I have a 51 A.D. and plan on building a board the length of the seat, adding some 6x9s and bolting to the back part of the seat (facing the rear). As for the front, I may use those kickpanels or use the stock speaker location. What ever you do, don't cut any holes.

21. Apache Outlaw

Apache Outlaw

Can you post some pics? or send them rafjr64 at yahoo

22. 11 year old resurrection :D

Budget36 likes this.