Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-57 GM side glass question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryan6902, Apr 23, 2010.

1. bryan6902

bryan6902

Has anybody out there replaced just the side glass pieces on Tri 5 Chevy's or Pontiac hard tops? The glass is fairly cheap but gets more expensive when adding the stainless frames. My question is, how hard is it to actually take the frames apart and re-assemble them with new glass and rubber seals?

My frame are really pitted and so I was just thinking of buying everything all put together, but if I could scrounge up some salvage yard/swap meet frames with cloudy/broken/delaminated glass for a decent price I could save some decent $$$$$. New glass and rubber parts runs about $200 while the assembled parts run $800-$900. If it's a huge pain I'll just buy it all assembled, but thought I'd reach out here before I wrote that check, anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Bryan

2. 55driver

55driver

I did mine about 8 years ago, as I recall it was no big deal, but I was replacing bad glass so I didn't mind it breaking in the channel. I was warned against using silicone to seat the new glass as it would make replacing that glass a pain. I'd do it again if I had to.
    Good Luck!

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I got 2 55-57 2dr hdtp window frames in real decent shape $45.00 for both certainly a fair price.

Pat

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

I'm going to try and take mine apart today, just to see how hard they come apart, which should be a gauge on how they will go back together. Anyone else have any expertise to lend?

1934coupe, I have to check a local source but I will PM you if I need more details on your pieces. Thanks, Bryan

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Here are the window frames I have for sale.

Pat

Attached Files: