Register now to get rid of these ads!

'55-'57 Chevy truck front axle placement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tinmann, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tinmann

tinmann

I did a search to no avail...... so here's my predicament..... I'm helping a buddy put a TCI front suspension (MII clone) into his '56 Chevy shortbox. The instructions say to weld it smack dab on the original centerline. Having done a few chassis's (but not '55 - '57 truck) before I know that sometimes when a vehicle is lowered the stock centerline no longer looks centred. Has anyone got some first hand experience? I've told my buddy we may have to drag his cab and front fenders into the shop for a look-see before we weld things in solid.

2. tinmann

tinmann

3. tinmann

tinmann

Anyone? anyone?

4. pinky49

pinky49

if it were mine, i'd put the cab and front end back on, then run a plimb bob down from the center of the wheel opening to get a centerline.
    ed

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It'll end up about 1/2 to 3/4 forward to look right when it's at the new ride hgt.

6. 24riverview

24riverview

Yes, what they said, although I wonder if 3/4" is enough. Found this out after doing a frame stub in my 56 years ago. You can see it in the stockers just isn't as noticeable with 6" of fender clearance.
    [​IMG]
    But put the tire up in the fender and you end up with this. (no offence meant to whoevers truck this is, mine looked the same)
    [​IMG]

7. tinmann

tinmann

Thank you for taking the time to respond, gentlemen. I knew in the dark recesses of my squirrel-sized brain that I (we) really should go to the trouble of putting the cab and fender on. I was just seeing if being lazy could be an option.

8. madmak95

madmak95

im bringing this back , as im fixing to start putting my '57 back together and am wonder about this myself.

9. squirrel

squirrel

don't know how low you're going with it, so the best answer is still to put the tire in the fender and move it till it looks right at the height you'll have the truck sitting.

The basic problem is that the rear of the fender opening slants at more of an angle than the front, so as you move the tire up into the fender, it looks too far forward.