Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-57 Chevy front end lift kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barnfind 56, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Does anyone know or had any experience with this type of spacers off of Ebay?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...trksid=p2759.l1259&item=220508884176&viewitem=

The seller has 100% feedback. I have Moroso trick drag race springs in the front of my 56 now but they are not recommended for the street and I believe it! They are too lightweight and the car is kind of a handfull to drive on the highway. I was thinking about putting big block springs in my car to get it up higher in the front but if I could just run these spacers with a new set of stock small block springs and get a 3 inch lift as advertised, I think it wouldn't be such a rough ride. Let me know your thoughts please.
    Thanks!

2. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If they dont raise it enough to need the ball joint spacers,I dont think you will be satisfied with the look,if you are wanting to raise it.

4. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Lots of cars were raised this way in the 60's-70's. But I don't think they will do much without the ball joint spacers.

Don't forget different shocks for shock travel extension. But they make shock extension for that too.

5. gassertruck

gassertruck
    BANNED
    from az

why not cut the front off and do a straight axle? or i have seen raised spindles

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

I would love to do a straight axle but it's not in my budget right now:(. I need to get these springs out of my car because I cant stand the feel I get from them. I am afraid to put big block springs in my car because I am running an LS1 motor and it weighs about 150lbs lighter than a iron smallblock. I am planning on doing the Hot Rod Power tour next June and dont want to be beat to death. If you run the bigblock springs with ball joint spacers and shock extensions does that smooth out the ride a little better?

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The "spacers" DO NOT raise the car, they just allow it to rise up more on launch. You may even have to notch the frame under the upper A-arms if they hit in order for the "spacers" to work correctly. The springs are what gets the car up initially, the "spacers" just allow for more lift after launch. Your lighter wound springs would actually work better overall for drag racing, but you want static height also. So, springs it is; 63 409 station wagon AC car is what you want for springs. The only other way I know of is to make up a pair of "stacked" spindles, takes 4 spindles to make 2. They are sort of the opposite of lowering spindles, but no one makes them commercially. The spindles are forged steel, and can be welded by a competent welder. Unless you do a front frame stub, don't go straight axle. Butch/56sedandelivery.

The stacked spindles raise the car, but don't change the ride, as the springs are left alone.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

i ran the big block springs with the ball joint spacers... it was pretty stiff. i don't know if i would do it again. To be honest, i'd put new stock springs in it and see how it is.. add the ball joint spacers if you want some more lift.. i thinkwith new stock springs it will sit pretty good and handle better than the drag springs..

9. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

I ran the station wagon springs with the spacers. When I did it all new parts were put in. The car rode so ruff(I even cut 1 1/2 coils off the spring) I cut the front end off and gave it too the scrap man. Then put in a straight axle and have loved it!!

Clyde

10. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

i have moroso big block springs (chevelle) and ball joint spacers in my 55 that has a iron small block,but a glass front end and doors,it sits about 3' higher than stock ,rides good and no issues,got the spacers off e-bay (aluminum ones):cool:
    check my pic's to see