Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55-56 Chevy Steering Column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Mar 24, 2020.

1. bustingear

bustingear

On 55-56 Chevy cars there is a spacer that fits in the area of the upper steering column that slides over the shaft. Mine is missing. Hoping someone can give me the dimensions so i can cut one. Need ID, OD and length. Regards and thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I spent way too much time rebuilding the’56 column that I used in my rpu.
    One of the difficulties as that if that shim was not the necessary thickness the damn thing wouldn’t shift at all or it took way too much effort. Luckily I had 3 columns to work with and found all 3 had different thickness shims.
    Sadly once I got mine to work properly I trashed everything extra that I had.
    I can tell you that it’s hardened steel.
    I recommend that you try to get at least one original part to start with.
    I found them to only vary by a few thousands of an inch in thickness.
    I wish you luck.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This doesn't help with dimensions but they are being repopped per Danchuck catalog for anyone else looking for said piece.

As memory serves, at thinnest point it's a 1/4" thick. The radius match's OD of steering tube.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Memory was wrong. The radius goes up past the mount surface. Use your dash bezel as a guide to come up with where radius should be.
    [​IMG]

5. bustingear

bustingear

Thought I would be a bit more clear with a picture.. Its the item marked spacer. I have no dash bezel going . Its going into model A. Working from scratch. Does that spacer sit inside of the upper bearing? What does it rest on?

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

That's something that is part of the Grant adapter kit, not the Chevy column, eh? It originally used a spring and seat between the wheel and upper bearing.

horn.jpg

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Per your title and question there's no way to know that this is going in something else. Also stock 55-56 columns do not use that.
    [​IMG]

427 sleeper likes this.
  8. bustingear

bustingear

What is to keep the turning signal cam mounting screws from laying down on the contact strip of the horn bearing ring , Cause right now if i dont have a spacer in there thats what it does and the outer black cap that comes with the kit will rub and close up? Is that stock spring enough to keep enough pressure in there to keep them apart?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  9. squirrel

squirrel

If you are using this stuff in a 55-56 Chevy, where the steering box has the shaft as part of the gear, and the mast jacket (the outer column) is held in place by the dash and firewall, the shaft can't slip down like you are experiencing.

Since you apparently made the column work in a different way at the bottom end, there is now nothing holding the shaft from moving up.

More pictures of your setup might help...

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. bustingear

bustingear

squirrel you must have ESP as this was the track i was just on when i hit the refresh button and you were there with it. maybe some more engineering is in order. I will try for some more pix tomorrow