Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 210 Wagon Progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MP&C, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Congratulations on your new Powell hammer Robert. Its a beautiful looking machine!

loudbang and MP&C like this.
  2. MP&C

MP&C

Oh yeah! wagon got some paint today! Richard and Brandon Glymph of Absolute Rod and Custom Paint in Annapolis got some of the Organic green Kandy basecoat and clear sprayed.

sealer:
    [​IMG]

Green:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPI Universal Clear:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video shows some of the pop you'll see in the sunlight..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  3. patterg2003

patterg2003

Looking good. A good rush from the satisfaction for all the hard work you put into the car to see it with paint. I have been subscribed to your excellent thread & have learned a lot along the way.

4. loudbang

loudbang

Well that is a giant milestone. Looks GREAT. This has been such an informative thread I ALMOST hate to see it finished. :rolleyes:

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Richard is a magician with paint, and Brandon is pretty darn impressive too!

6. belair

belair

Wow. That really pops. Top drawer work as usual.

7. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks guys!! long time coming..

Still waiting on some sunlight, but here's a shot of the car rolled outside this morning...

8. MP&C

MP&C

OK, sun came out for a few minutes today so Brandon sent a couple more videos...

9. belair

belair

That thing is so straight you could've chromed it.

10. Looks Great Robert !

11. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and MP&C like this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nice job there.
    A friend of mine had a 55 2 door wagon in the early 70's that was painted a beautiful metalic green like that. It had a prior life as a drag car and still wore the red plexiglass radiussed top, (see through) hood scoop.

15. loudbang

loudbang

THAT is some unbelievably Perfect paint and body work. Most of us wouldn't even bother to cut and buff it. :rolleyes:

16. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Almost 20 years and I lost count on how many forums, lol But it was worth the wait. No matter what you build or how many times you improved your skills, and have redone things every post has been worth the viewing and as always BEAUTIFUL job. Larry / formally L&L Custom!

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. MP&C

MP&C

Well yesterday was homecoming, Jared and I drove up to Annapolis to pick up the body from Absolute Rod and Custom Paint. Really pleased with this green paint, it does catch your eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love a tilt bed trailer for loading a rotisserie...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All strapped down for the trip south...

[​IMG]

A stop for fuel and then we headed to the Wednesday night meet at Leonardtown Arby's... I think that's the slowest traffic has ever travelled south out of Annapolis, we had quite a few people breaking their necks, slowing down to give the thumbs ups, etc..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that done, we can finish our spring cleaning in the shop and get this set back down on the frame..

19. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and MP&C like this.
  20. Wow! Looks great. Glad to see it one step closer to completion!

lothiandon1940, loudbang and MP&C like this.
  21. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks for all the feedback guys!! Yeah, Brandon and the guys did a bang up job on the paint.. Will be turning some heads when Dana takes it out.

We stopped by the upholstery shop on Friday, they had the console ready...

[​IMG]

Video:

22. Wow! Beautiful work on the console. Love the green stitching.

i.rant, belair, Bowtie Coupe and 2 others like this.
  23. loudbang

loudbang

You have to change the name to The 2020 210 Wagon Progress. This is a whole new and better car. :rolleyes:

24. Robert, the paint is outstanding but it just reflects the untold hours you & your team have devoted to the extensive metal work.

The bar has definitely been raised. HRP

25. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Well I think we're long overdue for a wagon update. Yes, it is back in the building....

[​IMG]

And we should be setting the body back on the chassis this weekend. We've been buttoning up some last minute things on the frame before a body makes accessibility more of a challenge. The cable for the O2 sensor up to the EFI was about two feet too long, so we ordered another connector and shortened it up a bit.

[​IMG]

In order to better hold things from bouncing around, a large Adel clamp is "massaged" to better fit the shape of the Bosch connector, and yet remain loose enough to remove the connector if need be for any future troubleshooting needs..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

….and here's our leftover.

[​IMG]

Next, we had transmission cooling lines to run, which means straightening a coil of stainless 5/16 line....

[​IMG]

This should be straight enough....

[​IMG]

We had to insure clearance around the inspection cover and starter, so those were temporarily installed...

[​IMG]

We found these fancy stainless "cable ties" at McMaster, but even using a banding tool to tension it, the "tang" retention allows it to loosen slightly before the tang locks in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I had recently picked up a pair of Pex crimpers at a pawn shop for cheap, we thought we'd give those Oetiker clamps a shot for keeping things snug.. Looks like this may work!

[​IMG]

Top side...

[​IMG]

Bottom...

[​IMG]

The crimpers/pliers we used... $15 at a pawn shop...

[​IMG]

Running the radiator ends...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then some other superfluous stuff, we got the second vent bracket welded up last night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And even though it's off in the near distance, it's about time to repaint the tag so DMV can register it to the car (1955 only had one plate in MD)...
    Thought I had some bus paint that was close, but looks a bit too light..

[​IMG]

But playing with some mixing ratios online, I may be able to use some of my one shot lettering paint as a tint to get us much closer...

[​IMG]

And since the rest of the bits are now being cut and buffed, we better get the body on the frame to make some room in the shop..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

….and between all that, we made another set of window dividers, these going to Dallas for the restoration of a 57 wagon...

[​IMG]

fauj, JOYFLEA, brEad and 8 others like this.
  26. Awesome, awesome work. Been following along since page 1. So glad to be able to at least spectate. Thanks for sharing the process.

27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Looking great as always Robert. Larry

loudbang, MP&C and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do awesome work, Robert! Thanks for sharing.

MP&C and loudbang like this.