Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 210 Wagon Progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MP&C, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MP&C

MP&C

We are a part time shop that does pretty much what the customer asks for. I would say we lean more toward metal shaping/fabrication. Where this one would likely be considered a resto-mod, the next project is a Divco that the owner wants bone stock.

2. MP&C

MP&C

Progress last night on the console, as I was welding the remaining bits in the drivers console side (sorry, no pics) Jake was using the GoKart slick in the Wheeling machine to add the correct contour to the rear panel for the console...

Matches up well.....

[​IMG]

Then he made some practice side pieces so we could test the fitment to the rear panel after using the tank roll die in the Lennox. There's quite a bit of work in the console sides at this point, and we didn't want them to be the guinea pigs..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View of them clamped:

[​IMG]

We can use this rear panel on the console, and this weekend we'll use the tank roll die on the console sides and get them welded together..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Innovative use of Go-cart slick!:D

4. MP&C

MP&C

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone on the HAMB!

More progress today on the console, time to weld in the back section.. We had it clamped like so:

[​IMG]

But on second thought, it should be clamped on the upper portion...

[​IMG]

....and to keep the bottoms from sliding out from under, some spacers were made out of scrap wood....

[​IMG]

Tacked and welded with the TIG....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jake cut out some corners, tipped some flanges, and used the Vise Grip tucking tool to gather up some of the excess metal. A torch heats up the tucks for an easy flattening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trimmed and test fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inner corner finished in the same fashion...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chop job, JUNK ROD, brEad and 10 others like this.
  5. Happy and safe holidays to you as well, Robert..............................................Don.

lothianwilly71, Bowtie Coupe and MP&C like this.
  6. Merry Christmas to you Robert ! May Santa bring you a tool you don’t have yet .LOL
    Blue

lothiandon1940, MP&C and belair like this.
  7. Nice work! :cool:

MP&C and loudbang like this.
  8. oj

oj

Merry Christmas Robert, nice work.

MP&C, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  9. Great craftsmanship, Robert! I'm enjoying every bit of this thread. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

10. MP&C

MP&C

Happy New Year to everybody!

Had a visit by the shop this week from cousin JB, who works at Interiors by Shannon in Alabama. He was up for the holidays. They have recently picked up a bead roller so we did some practice runs on pre-stretched and non-stretched beads, and then some beads using the Lennox Nibbler. Finished up with some shrinking on the MH-19. We ran out of time to punch louvers. Great to see him again, nice to spend time "playing" in the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress on the console this weekend... Mike is still in California visiting family, so Jake and I have been texting pics to him of what he's missing haha..

Corner number two, we've already shown some shrinking, so no we'll show stretching the inside corner..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Placing the part on a suitable flat anvil, a barrel roll hammer is used to provide stretch the inner corner...

[​IMG]

You get to a point where flat is no longer useful, so then we use another anvil, this one in the form of a square tube. Works well for what we're doing here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted and welded....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, a pattern made of the rear hump for trimming the console.. we'll keep it snug for now for placing anchors and then trim later for carpet and sound deadening space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Standoffs used for anchors, trimmed to fit angle of the hump... and welded in place. Crossmember made for inside the console and spot welded in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Looks great Robert ! Thanks for the lesson and Happy New Year . Blue

MP&C and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Nicely done! Thanks for showing us.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and MP&C like this.
  13. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Wow i stumbled on your thread and it took me 3 or 4 nights to read all 40 pages, I was completely absorbed in it, i couldn’t read or check anything on the web since . It’s so technically well detailed!
    Man I would pay to be your assistant! Hahahah
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge and passion with us. Cause of your detailed steps I realized what I was doing wrong with my patch panels, so the next ones will be easier to do and I’m sure the results will be better as well! It’s so hard to work sheet metal when you don’t know how and when you have no one to teach you how!!!
    That’s gonna be one hell of a 55!!!
    Btw what appended with Kyle?
    Thanks again and a happy new year!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks for the kind words. Glad some of my ramblings may help out.

Kyle graduated and took some full time employment. They wound up loading him up with overtime it seems on a daily basis, so helping out at the shop gave way to him getting sleep. :D

15. MP&C

MP&C

More console progress today, started off using Rotacutter to put a hole in the transmission tunnel for the shifter cable. The bulkhead seal that came with the cable has some mounting holes, we'll use some AVK style rivet nuts for ease of installation/replacement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More anchors welded to the floor, some "crossmembers" fabricated, and welded into the console.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To locate the holes in the crossmembers, some spotters are set in the anchors, console placed, and crossmember tapped from above to mark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we need to close off the front of the storage cavity to give us an anchor point for the latch. So we started the fabrication but found some limitations in our acute dies for the press brake.

[​IMG]

Not quite enough bend, so we opted for a piece of sharpened 12 ga cold rolled to give us a bit more....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trimmed and welded in place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video version:

D-Russ, JOYFLEA, JUNK ROD and 7 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

This is going to be the BEST EVER 55 chevy :)

MP&C, brEad, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  17. That console is really sweet! Fantastic attention to detail!

18. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

You know Robert I have been following this build over 10 years!! When I see another post and I think is in paint yet?? And then I see even more great metal fab and trick's and ideas and I think aw hell paint is over rated :rolleyes:. As usual my friend great work. Larry

lothiandon1940, MP&C and loudbang like this.
  19. boring-hop-yard

boring-hop-yard

Nice work, its going to be killer!

20. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks for the comments everyone!

We were originally going to hinge the console lid along the passenger side, but thought it would be better accessible from either front seat if it was hinged at the rear. We're using the same hinge as we used for the widened glove box door. In our attempt to add a torsion spring to keep the lid upright in the open position, we couldn't find the size to fit our 1/8" diameter hinge pin with enough torsion to hold the lid open. (Yes, even McMaster failed us) So we decided to wrap our own. Here's a fixture we made for the Aloris tool holder on the South Bend to act as a guide for the 1/16" music wire.

[​IMG]

We also installed the older 3 jaw chuck, but not before adding a "wire catch"

[​IMG]

Here's a video of us wrapping the spring... As my South Bend lacks slow enough speed for such a task, we opted for manual rotation..

Here's the positioning and function of the hinge with torsion spring installed...

With our hinge now positioned, we also found we needed to move the hinge closer to the rear edge for better lid clearance while open. Back up and punt you say?

[​IMG]

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Can't see the pictures! :(

22. MP&C

MP&C

Didn't get as many pictures this weekend as I'd have liked. While I worked on some final details on the console, Jake made some cardboard templates of our rear armrests. These will also serve to hide the seat belt retractors for the front buckets, as well as the rear speakers.

[​IMG]

Here Jake transferring the pattern to some 19 gauge cold rolled, cleaning up some of the lines as well...

[​IMG]

I was welding in the front cross piece that Jake made to the console and had some underside welds to do. Sometimes we make it easier on ourselves, especially if we can't weld upside-down all too well..

[​IMG]

Suspended from the door track...

[​IMG]

The hinge at the rear now moved rearward, metal added for mounting the hinge and securing the "storage recess".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Fabulous work as always, Robert.

24. MP&C

MP&C

OK, here's our update for the past couple weeks..

We're working on getting the seats ready to go to the upholsterer, and these 2002 Monte Carlo seat belts just aren't cutting it...

[​IMG]

This these belts are riveted to a bracket that stands off from the seat, and we'll need to stand off our replacement as well. So the rivets are removed and the new seat belt gets bolted to the same bracket using 1/2" bolt, grade 8. The "new" seat belts look much more vintage correct.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With console in place and bezel checked to proper height, anchors are set in place for welding to the floor pan. Bolted to shifter plate for proper alignment and standoffs used to provide space to get in there and weld...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, our replacement for the parking brake pull handle didn't fit just right so an extension was added that will use factory holes, we do need to drill the firewall for the studs out the front end..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jake's progress on the rear seat kick panel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tipping wheel on the Fasti folds over the top flange that will hold our arm rest..

[​IMG]

Bolting bracket that will secure the kick panel to the inner quarter..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here we're cutting out our console lid...

[​IMG]

Thinning bend lines for a more crisp bend...

[​IMG]

A piece of round rod in our magnetic brake gives us radius-ed corners...

[​IMG]

A few passes in the Tommasini Wheeling Machine gives a bit of crown for better support

[​IMG]

Corner details TIG welded in...

[​IMG]

Corner detail test fit...

[​IMG]

There we go, all caught up!

JUNK ROD, tomkelly88, D-Russ and 6 others like this.
  25. Robert,what kind of car did the seats come from? HRP

MP&C likes this.
  26. MP&C

MP&C

Danny they (front and back) are out of a 2002 Monte Carlo. Rear was sectioned 2" out of the middle.

27. loudbang

loudbang

Any plans from the owner is it going to be a "show car" or going to get driven?

Bowtie Coupe and MP&C like this.
  28. MP&C

MP&C

She says she will be driving the wheels off it!

29. Thanks, the work is exceptional ,as always! HRP

JUNK ROD, Bowtie Coupe and MP&C like this.
  30. I love it when I see you’ve updated this thread! Beautiful work as usual.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and MP&C like this.