Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 210 Wagon Progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MP&C, Mar 24, 2013.

1. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks for the comments!

More work on the seat back bracket... Trimming the side pieces to match the wheel well...

[​IMG]

Adding welding flange, hammered out of 16 gauge steel..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test drive....

Used the Roper Whitney hand punch to make our plug weld holes..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we'll close off the back area to contain the amp and bass speaker.

2. MP&C

MP&C

Had a short evening in the shop as I was busy packing the neon clock for shipment, so the remainder was spent working on some of the many final details of the rear seat. Here are the factory seat clips to hold the seat bottom in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to use these, let's do a sample and see if we cut a hole in some sheet metal that they'll fit into..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This looks like it will work, we'll get some 18 gauge strips made to hold these that 45 down to the floor, adding some bead details for strength..

[​IMG]

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

When you butt the square tube together I am assuming there is a reason for the one to overlap? Thanks

4. MP&C

MP&C

More for helping to get it aligned than anything. Not really needed.......

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Beautiful work.
    This is going to be one really nice and also one pricey ( read very expensive) 55 wagon.
    Most people have no idea how much nice and precision details (large or small) can eat up time, and the hours build to an amazing level.

I think that at times it can be hard to bill for an actual real time total on hours.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  6. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks! There's been a couple instances (roof repair was one of them) where I wasn't pleased with the results and redid the repair on my dime. But yeah, when you have something that has seen what seems each and every panel/body part on the car seeing rust repair or modification, the time adds up..

JUNK ROD, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  7. MP&C

MP&C

Time for some brackets for the rear seat bottom retainers. Cut out some 19 gauge...

[​IMG]

Drilled some holes for an inside radius, and trimmed the corners for the floor pan flange..

[​IMG]

Now to fold some flanges on the sides for strength, using the Diacro press brake and a 1/2" thick lower die. By adding some rare earth magnets to the back side to serve as a back stop, we get a perfect 1/4" flange...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some back and forth between the Erco kick shrinker and the press brake with a narrow die inside the folds.... and we have 45* bends on either end of our brackets...

[​IMG]

Test fit.... and trimming the retainer hole...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Your ingenuity is amazing! This will be a 55 Chevy in name only, ;)

loudbang likes this.
  9. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks!

Had our new apprentice started today, while I cut out the hole in the second seat bracket, Mike got started on punching and drilling holes for plug welding the passenger bucket seat bracket...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I got the bracket hole cut out, E media blasted the brackets and added some SPI epoxy using a brush. We mainly wanted to get the bottom side well covered as it will be inaccessible once welded in place..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First coat...

[​IMG]

Two coats, that should hold us for under a seat...

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I got out the John Deere rod bender to see if we could make up some anchors for the shoulder belt..

[​IMG]

Bent with relief for a 1/2-13 lock nut..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded with short bursts and plenty of cooling between to keep the nylon lock intact..

[​IMG]

test fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plug weld holes drilled and welded in place....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike finished up plug welding the seat bracket in place...

[​IMG]

JUNK ROD, Bowtie Coupe, brEad and 5 others like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Good on you for employing an apprentice. That is how I got my start too many years ago to count. :)

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. MP&C

MP&C

Had a late start in the shop tonight as I had to go look at a school bus. Yeah, week and a half to go until the end of school.

Looks like something gave the spot mirror a nice push..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mirror mount looks like it's no longer straight....

[​IMG]

OK, so we found it hard to fathom something hitting the mirror that high in the air as the bus was driving into it, so the other possibility was something backed into this one.. A quick search of the buses parked close by revealed this one with some nice shiny metal showing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick test drive showed that the mirror didn't vibrate/move around that much so we're going to address this after school is out so this one can still be used for the next couple weeks..

Back at the shop, time to weld in the seat retainer brackets...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....and then started the next shoulder harness anchor bracket....

[​IMG]

12. Robert, I have a real hard time following what you're doing with the back seat, but I have no doubt you're doing it right. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. MP&C

MP&C

Dave, I get confused myself, and it's right in front of me! :D

Our seats, front and back both, are out of a 2002 Monte Carlo. The seat back was a split fold down, which was not desired. Since the width needed to accommodate the mini tubs, this allowed us to section those two separate seat backs and make one fold down arrangement. The center arm rest will disappear with reupholstery. The sub and amp will hide behind the seat, so the fold down is used for access for those. Still have some "filler strips" that sit to the left and right of the fold down seat to make it the correct width to the seat cushion. The OEM versions of these will have some severe notching at the bottom as they need to become very intimate with the wheel tubs.

The seat bottom is also sectioned in the center and notched on the back corners to accommodate the mini tubs. We still have yet to add arm rest stanchions to fill out from the inner quarter to the seat cushion and conceal the shoulder belt retractor. Hence all the seat belt drama thrown in the mix here. For the shoulder belt anchor point, we "sized up" the location on the B pillar with a test subject in the driver's seat, and it fell about dead center between two trim screws. The hole for the nut did not exist prior, and the 3/8 rod was trimmed so it wouldn't interfere with the trim screw holes. We still have yet to add a doubler plate at the bottom inner quarter by the B pillar to attach both the lap belt and shoulder retractor... That's all I know at this point.... :D

14. MP&C

MP&C

Pilot hole drilled for the passenger B-Pillar.....

[​IMG]

The center point is spring loaded, but they seem to locate better using a pilot hole vs. just a punch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plug weld holes drilled for the anchor and paint cleaned off in prep for welding..

[​IMG]

Apprentice E worked on smoothing off the plug welds from last week..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welding in the anchor .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the lower anchor point, which will hold both the retractor and the lap belt, we used some 14 ga that will be plug welded to the back side of the inner quarter panel just behind the B Pillar.. A 1/2" lock nut is welded to the back side, and a spacer added to the front side to keep the lap belt off the side wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or the motion picture version....

15. loudbang

loudbang

I get it now the footwear on your "apprentice" gave her away LOL. o_O

JOYFLEA and MP&C like this.
  16. MP&C

MP&C

Tonight we have both seat belt retractor anchor plates welded and waiting for apprentice E to media blast and epoxy prime..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, we have the side filler panels to either side of the fold down rear seat that don't fit with those pesky wheel tubs in the way...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we plan to make new ones, with a relief to fit snugly to the wheel tubs at the bottom end.. We used the Baileigh MH19 hammer and the shrinking dies to shape a piece of 14 gauge cold rolled to fit the wheel tub. Glad I didn't have to do all that shrinking by hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A flat piece from the top section will be welded to this piece, and then foam will be glued to the assembly and upholstered to match the seat..

JUNK ROD, brEad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  17. MP&C

MP&C

To catch up on the wagon, the seat belt retractor anchor bracket will be located inside the quarter panel, here we are laying out for the plug weld holes that hold it in place...

[​IMG]

Holes piloted, then use the burnishing brush to remove the paint from the weld area...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the holes are enlarged for plug weld size, I use a letter A and plenty of heat.

[​IMG]

Back to our rear seat back modification, some 14 gauge steel is shrunk in the Baileigh MH19 to fit the driver's wheel well..

[​IMG]

After some cleanup on the Tommasini cast wheeling machine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Mike has media blasted the anchor brackets and is here spraying them with SPI epoxy primer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 14 gauge is then held to the wheel wells and marked a line parallel to the seat frame. We'll use this line to start the transition to flat, using a linear stretch die in the MH19.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Linear stretch die also used to add this detail to blend into the bottom part...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tacked together and fitted....

[​IMG]

Tig welded....

[​IMG]

This should JUST hide the wheel well, but doesn't look like the foam will be all that thick at the bottom...

[​IMG]

Weld dressed and another fit, I was going to trim the sides but we'll be adding some stiffener beads to the flat area, so we'll wait until after that process to trim the sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. belair

belair

More awesomnisity-ness. I hope I live long enough to see this build completed.

19. MP&C

MP&C

20. MP&C

MP&C

Saturday Mike worked on the 55, with the seat belt retractor anchor plates now epoxied and cured for a week, they're ready to weld inside the quarters. He clamped them in place, scribed all the holes, removed them and cleaned paint off the hole locations....

[​IMG]

clamped in, ready to plug weld.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then he dressed the plug welds on the anchor plates as well as a few remaining ones on the drivers bucket seat pan. next on the list is to fabricate some arm rests for the rear seat area that will also serve to enclose the seat belt retractors.

21. loudbang

loudbang

Whew don't see a handy fire extinguisher inside the cabin be a shame if all the many house of hard work went up in smoke.

MP&C likes this.
  22. MP&C

MP&C

FE was about 10' away, just outside paint booth door. Mike had removed all the seats and even vacuumed the floor before he started, so we didn't have too much kindling inside.. :D

brEad, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  23. MP&C

MP&C

With the Biederman fenders out of the building, its time to work on the 55's rear seat bolsters. Time to assemble the parts for the passenger side..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIG welded together...

[​IMG]

....and cleaned up....

[​IMG]

Back to the drivers side, all the edges will be tipped forward to eliminate the possibility of sharp edges cutting through the upholstery..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the edge adjacent to the center fold down seat, so we wanted it nice and straight..

[​IMG]

To better check that we were straight across the uneven surfaces, we used the laser again...

Seats mocked up again.....

[​IMG]

.....and laser used to get a straight edge on the outside..

[​IMG]

for more edge tipping....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully we can finish this up in the morning and start cutting out the foam pad..

JUNK ROD, Bowtie Coupe, brEad and 3 others like this.
  24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Excellent work as usual Robert. Always find great "why didn't I think of that ideas" . Larry

loudbang and MP&C like this.
  25. MP&C

MP&C

Here's the panel with all the edges tipped forward, clamped in place..

[​IMG]

Some poster board templates were traced from the steel part, then trimmed out and transferred to the foam.

[​IMG]

Used the electric bread knife from the kitchen (if anyone asks you haven't seen it...) to trim out the foam, makes short work of it...

[​IMG]

roughed out...

[​IMG]

Test fit for marking the profile...

[​IMG]

trimmed /sculpted to size with the bread knife and 3" roloc. Use a worn disc on the sander, the fresh ones tend to grab..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This fills out the seat pretty nicely and hides that wheel tub that protrudes into the back side of the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUNK ROD, TFoch, brEad and 5 others like this.
  26. MP&C

MP&C

Well it looks like we've been slacking, but I left Mike a list of things to do and he says they're all crossed off. Just pulled back in the driveway tonight so I don't know for sure.. o_O Have to check it out tomorrow. Me and the family have been driving down the east coast for the past couple weeks for a much needed break, and I found time enough for a detour in SC..

When you see yard art like this, you know you're in the right place!

[​IMG]

Visited with Danny for a bit, he was showing off some of his handiwork on his wife's wagon... Quite impressive for a guy that didn't have anywhere near the tooling to work with that I have in the shop. Until you walk in those shoes, you don't realize the amount of work that goes into the details.. Awesome job Danny!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, then there are the 32's... ho hum, right....:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Color me jealous. Then we went to visit one of Danny's local neighbors who I've also met online (on another forum) to check out one of his recent builds.

[​IMG]

Then out for a good lunch at a local burger place. Danny, great to finally meet, thanks for putting up with me and showing off your old Fords, well worth the trip!!

JUNK ROD, tomkelly88, JOYFLEA and 4 others like this.
  27. sololobo

sololobo

impressive work, your homemade anvil rocks!!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. MP&C

MP&C

Back on the wagon, we needed to close off the back side of the rear seat.. We have some square tubing to use but needed a radius bender. The upper part of the buffer stand looks like it may work. As I've told Mike, everything is a tool..

[​IMG]

Add a welder and a piece of round stock for an anchor...

[​IMG]

First test...

[​IMG]

Four pieces needed...

[​IMG]

All TIG welded together...

[​IMG]

29. Robert,it was indeed a pleasure to meet you and put a face with the name,I appreciate you sharing your metal working knowledge with a hack like me.

I'm sure John enjoyed the visit also,at 30 years of age his metal working skills revel that of many of his peers,His dad & I have been friends since the early 6o's and I have watch John master many of the skills that have him in demand of many local people needing a car or truck restored.

Lunch at Arnold's was fun and the time flew by,hopefully next time we can visit with a few more people you might find interesting.Take care my friend.

BTW,thank you for the Yeller T-shirt. :D HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  30. MP&C

MP&C

Yesterdays progress....

We needed some tooling for the next phase of the 55 wagon's interior fabrications, the radius we installed on the rear seat back framework will need to be duplicated onto the sheet metal covering. A trip to Hill Top welding had produced a suitable piece of 4" pipe. The Pexto shear has a t-slot along the front for it's support arms and we'll use this to bolt on a couple angle brackets to support this pipe along the front. A slight gap behind the pipe will allow us to use it as a fulcrum in adding a radius to our panel... Mike worked on adding some end caps to our radius die....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need a ground clamp for a standing piece of pipe? set it on a flanged piece of sheet metal, instant clamp location....

[​IMG]

More to come on that....

Meanwhile, our sheet metal panel will also serve to cover the rear bass speaker. Not wanting a grille showing, we plan on using upholstery cloth to conceal the speaker. Rather than a big gaping hole that would more readily show the location regardless, some slots will better support the upholstery cloth. So lets make some nibbling tooling..

This punch will be approx. 3/8 diameter and is made of 4140 oil hardening stock so we can heat treat when complete for better tool life..

[​IMG]

End is formed slightly concave to give a better cutting edge..

[​IMG]

Bottom die gets a clearance hole for the 3/8 punch, then it gets bored from the bottom end using 1/2" bit to within about 1/8" of the top surface. This will allow better gravity flow of any chips passing through our bottom die..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we'll need an exit chute, so a 1/2" angled hole is drilled through the side and a 1/2" plug made to fill the remainder...

[​IMG]

The plug bottom gets chamfered and welded into the bottom die, then a ball end die grinder is used to fine tune the exit chute...

[​IMG]

A "shoe" is formed to hold down the workpiece, as otherwise the punch tends to lock onto the panel after the first punch and raise it in the air, thus preventing any material feed...

[​IMG]

An action video....

Our test slot.... this may work yet!

[​IMG]