Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 packard distributor rotating when engine revs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oneqwkfbody, Jun 17, 2012.

1. oneqwkfbody

oneqwkfbody

hey there...recently got into a decent looking 54 packard I8 thunderbolt 327.
    it runs, but its rough...i noticed that when i rev the engine the distributor rotates about 5-10 degrees....
    the clamps to the block are tight, and so is the vacuum advance screw....

is this normal for this engine? its almost like an external vs internal compensation for vacuum advance? this causes the car to be very weak off the line and during acceleration...

i may try retarding the distributor and seeing if this helps with the timing...also get the light on it and see where its at...

but just seeing if any other packard owners know if this would be normal activity for this car since everything that is supposed to keep the distributor still is tight...
    thanks for any information...

2. spiders web

spiders web

Yes this is normal. Packard has the distributor advance move entire distributor instead of internally moving the points plate inside. You may want to vacuum time engine rather than use a timing light as this will get you a better power curve. Good luck!!

3. oneqwkfbody

oneqwkfbody

thanks for the reply!
    good idea on the vacuum timing....
    according the packardinfo.com these cars came with 2 types of distributors, one externally adjusted and one internally adjusted. so i guess my eyes werent decieving me!