Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 newyorker with hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sigfurniture, Nov 10, 2013.

1. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

ok, so I´ve been out shopping again and along with the 39 dodge should be coming a 54 chrysler in a container to spain.

the newyorker already has the big HP and no rust to avoid any major reconstruction. But it will be difficult not to do some of the basic lowering tricks on it.
    I havent seen it yet in detail(its on another continent), but does anyone have any experience with them, ? know what to expect rust wise, mechanical trickery etc, and common problems?
    most of the pix I´ve seen have very good bodywork after 50 years so I guess thats typical.

they are probably not your typical hot rod fare but surely someone has done something interesting out there

cheers in advance sig

[​IMG]

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , easy cars to work on , lots of eye appeal , i love the droopy eyes headlight trim , lowering blocks for the rear , fatman makes dropped spindles , disc brake kits available now , flatz purple with yellow and red pinstripes , spinner hubcaps are nice , best wishes on your cars...mac

3. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That era of Chryslers are really nice driving cars. In the early '60s I had a very nice '53 New Yorker Coupe (2 dr post). It was so smooth and quiet at idle, you had to pay careful attention to be sure it was running. It drove and rode very well.

You have a nice, solid foundation to work with there.

Best wishes with it.

Ray

5. George

George

Hemi tech Index Start reading if you're not up on Hemis. Your '54 probably has the short tail 4 bl engine though the 2 bl is a possibility. If it has the 4 bl engine Q.E.C(73RR here on the Board), T R Waters, Hot Heads, Wilcap and others have adaptors to upgrade the tranny to the 727, I like the QEC one. Not a bad idea to upgrade the rear axle if something can be found in Spain. As far as rust is concened they can vary from very rusty to really nice depending on where it was. A bought a '54 Imperial for the engine that was disolving from rust.

6. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

good news Ray thanks, and George..blimey that hemi info is massive, great to know it all here. apparently its not run for 20 years, but ran well before ( the typical story) the body certainly looks straight. I guess the usual massaging of liquids and plugs etc on arrival here.I think its 6v. and I think I´m right in believing that a 12V battery doesn´t harm a starter motor if the rest of the stuff is disconnected??anyway all exciting stuff, the transporters are on it and should be in port stateside by the end of the week :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. George

George

The guy i bought the Imp from was driving it with a 12V battery. If it hasn't run in 20 years the 1st thing to do is see if the engine is stuck. If stuck pour some ATF in the cyls & let it soak for a couple weeks & see if you can get it to break loose.