Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 mercury, rear window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace Brown, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Some of you may know, we've been working (slowly) on dad's 54 mercury custom. There's a half-assed build thread here somewhere...

Anyhow, we're at the point where the top chop is mostly done (finish welding/grinding to do yet). We're getting ready to start on the glass. Now, I know there's a million threads on cutting rear glass and how it can't be done. I get that. Some reproduction companies produce rear windows that are safety glass, not tempered apparently. If anyone has a source for a reproduction rear window that's safety glass, not tempered, I'd be interested to know.

Secondly, does the mercury (mark morton's) below have cut rear glass, or is it sunken into the trunk, or lexan? Rik, maybe you know? I saw some photos in your Fotki site while in the painting stage of the car below; it doens't appear that it's sunken.

Any input would be appreciated. Couldn't find much info regarding the rear glass. If it's been mentioned I haven't found it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some detailed photos of a '54 Mercury 2 dr hdtp chop in Barris Kustom Techniques of the 50's Vol 1. He shows the rear glass frame being sunken into the rear deck. I guess the rubber glass gasket would sit in the same place, just sunken. But, the chrome strip would be above it, completing the beltline.

3. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Sinking the glass is pretty common on cars with the complex curved rear glass like this. We're trying not to have to do that, but it's looking more like we'll have to. Or, use Lexan.

I swear I saw somewhere there was a custom lexan place, on here or elsewhere, that could cut a piece of lexan and heat it to fit the shape of the glass it's replacing. I may also have been dreaming.

4. I had a shoebox rear glass copied in Acrylic[plexi] several years ago for a guy.
    I sent the glass as a buck and they made it,which was then cut down and fitted in the car.
    they made Lexan windshields for Nascar Truck series drivers I heard.......
    I am not positive the company is around,no longer have their number- so best of luck.

Cope Plastics
    St Louis Missouri

5. Did a quick internet search and seems they are alive and well in 17 locations in USA

6. WWinIL

WWinIL

"Secondly, does the mercury (mark morton's) below have cut rear glass, or is it sunken into the truck, or lexan? Rik, maybe you know? I saw some photos in your Fotki site while in the painting stage of the car below; it doens't appear that it's sunken."

I had a question about the skirts were fabbed on MM '54, so I thought, hey,why not ask the man himself,got nothin' to lose right? His e-mail address is right on the "hop up" site. Not only was he kind enough to answer my question, but I got a reply in less than an hour!

BTW, MM wasn't 100% positive but he thought sam rambo and tim goodbar combined a set of stock skirts and nite crawler repops.

Is it possible to cut down the original blue/green tinted glass? I'd like to keep that look when I have Kenny Baker chop my '53 (that is if he ever returns my e-mail, LOL)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Choprods- Thanks, I'll definitely be looking into that as an option. Appreciate it

WWinIL- Good idea. I'll see about contacting "the man" directly. If you're referring the rear window, I'd say "no" to being able to cut it down as it's tempered and will shatter if you try cutting it. Safety glass can be cut, carefully, or sand blasted (also carefully). I have a cousin that is a sandblaster by profession; we'll be taking the windshield to him to cut down. Hopefully that goes well...

8. WWinIL

WWinIL

Looked up your build thread, looks great ! love the packard lights too!

Keep up the good work,
    Walt

9. WWin IL.......
    I am not sure I got that email.I will answer most often.......
    back to glass, you can sometimes have a monument place cut the windshields....they use Aluminum Oxide [and others]rather than sand when they carve the letters into a monument and these are a much more aggressive media,will cut thru even the laminate's rubbery middle part.......

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

why not sink the rear glass? last a lot longer than lexan, and if fab buck is not perfect you will have a major problem. to sink glass build a u channel for lower edge to be supported by. line channel with some type of rubber - even stock rubber. at body line run/glue split stock rubber with stainless across glass. always wonder why glass is often an after thought when chopping a roof.

11. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

Thanks for your concern. The forethought was to (as mentioned) sink it, or go lexan/plexi/whatever. The thought recently developed that we could get a safety glass reproduction rear window and cut it. I like the idea of having the rubber totally seal the window, not gluing a slipt one onto the window. It's been done a thousand times, yes, and we know how we'd do it (again, forethought) on this car. Exploring other options at this point before we commit. All the things you mention are correct regarding fit and finish and longevity of the material, though this won't be a daily driver and UV damage/other damage to the material should be minimal. I was curious what the builder did on the car posted above.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012