Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Merc engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John O, Oct 31, 2006.

1. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

I am considering an engine swap for my 54 Mercury Monterey. It has the original 256 and it is tired and worn. I would be interested in hearing from members who have had success with the installation of a later model V8 in a similar chassis.
    Thanks, John O

2. It can be done. Depends on what you want...but if you're looking for a moderate amount of extra power, modern accessories, a modern automatic, reasonable mileage, & so forth, a 351W is a pretty good choice...or you could go with EFI & use either a 5.0 or 351W truck setup.

The SBC could be used as well, but I never really mention them just 'cause I'm so tired of seeing them swapped. :)

My personal choice, for whatever it's worth, would be for you to build a mild 292 Y. They fit in place of the 256, parts are reasonable for them (so far as any Y goes), they are the most common of the Ys....and if you want, a newer transmission can be used, with some effort and/or expense. But I'm a little biased. :D By the way, A/C can be added to a Y block, brackets are available.