Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Merc brake trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John O, Sep 7, 2006.

1. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Hey guys,
    I’m having trouble with the brakes on a newly acquired 54 Merc. The master cylinder and booster have been rebuilt and the rest of the system gone through and checks out okay. Should work right, right?

The problem...the pedal is super hard and when applied with some pressure the brakes grab hard and release slowly. My head hurts from hitting the steering wheel. Can any one provide some insight as to probable causes and solutions? The engine is a smoker and may have intermittent vacuum issues (unchecked as of yet) would this be a culprit as the brakes booster works from manifold vacuum? All help is appreciated....thanks, John O

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

got a leak? or a swollen/ collapsed hose? how does it perform with vacuum disconnected?

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Where ya from? Thought I knew of every 54 in the area!

4. rebstew187

rebstew187

5. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Manchester, just south of Toms River. I just picked up the Merc from a guy who's retiring to Fla and can't take it with him. His kids bought it for him in the mid 90's and he's been doing little things here and there. Solid Ca car originally.....

6. John O

John O
    from Central NJ

Steve, sounds real familiar.....I'll let you know what I figure out or is figured out for me...John