Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Lincoln dropped spindles

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 296moon, May 12, 2016.

1. 296moon

296moon
    from england

As above, I would like to fit 2" dropped spindles on my 54 lincoln capri, are these available anywhere, thanks Moon

2. For 2" clip a coil

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not knowing how close the Lincoln are to the Fords of that era but they are using Granda spindles for a 2-1/2" drop. Other guys are just using 1990 Ford Aerostar front springs for 1 1/2 to 2" drop.

4. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks for the replys, I think its already got aerostar springs but I would like it down a little more, might try cliping half a coil and see how it sits

5. How close are '54 Ford parts to the Capri? Probably a raft more of parts made for the Ford counterpart than for a Lincoln.

6. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Very good point, perhaps that is the question I should have asked........................................

7. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The Fords and Lincolns are nothing a like in the suspension department. Mercurys are totally different also. Our Lincolns are "one of a kind" and the ball joints are $$$$$ if you can find them!

Ranchero59 likes this.
  8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Always wondered why someone hasn't come up with adapter plates for the gold mine ball joints. Hmmm, sounds like a good idea.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Got to thinking, the ball joints (at least the bottom, probably the top) tuck into the a-arms. If I can find a ball joint that has a relatively thin mounting surface, I believe a sandwiching type adapter block could be used to fit the Lincoln A-arms. Time to take a look at this!

coolbreeze1340 likes this.
  10. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I like that idea and will be pursuing it once I get my spare set of upper and lower control arms. it seems it wouldn't be a hard thing to do when you look at how the original ball joints mount. IMG_2224.JPG

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Just a little update looking for input.
    We've discussed the "more than gold" Lincoln ball joint issue, dropped spindles, etc. but while digging for information I came across something interesting. It looks like the later fords and T-birds use the exact same ball joint design other than the tapered shaft is a little smaller. I'm still doing research but it seems that you could use T-bird ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. and also gain the ability to use Granada dropped spindles, disc brake conversions, etc.. For some reason I can find T-bird ball joints listed for about 1/6th the cost!!!!!

hudsonguy66 and too many fords like this.
  12. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Stop'em and Drop'em out of Calf. can do dropped spindles for our Lincolns. He modifies Granada spindles to accept our ball joints, they are 2 1/2" drop and come with disk brakes, calipers, hoses, etc.
    I spoke to him the other day and he was a super helpful guy.

Chris Pellerin and Ranchero59 like this.
  13. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks coolbreezel.............

14. derthor

derthor
    from Germany

here in Germany I found a company that made new springs for me with a 2,5 Inch drop

[​IMG]

Chris Pellerin likes this.