Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 iron glide reverse question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Jan 27, 2010.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

OK, so I have the '54 going around the block at this point. Reverse is very weak. Both forward gears engage good and strong, and it has a good positive shift. Reverse however, it feels like when a manual clutch need to be replaced. Like its slipping. Its slow to begin moving the vehicle, and if you give it much gas at all it slips and free wheels. Once it does kind of start to grab, and the vehicle it moving backwards, it starts to vibrate, like the clutches are grabbing and letting go, more of a chatter than anything.

So this is my first iron glide, and enclosed drive-line. I honestly was not as disappointed with the lil glide as I expected to be. I might not even be completely opposed to keeping it in the car. Is this a common issue with this tranny? if so is there a fix for it?

I know that there is almost nothing that can be done with this tranny without pulling it, as there is no pan.

Thanks,

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am no expert on these, but I did have a '58 iron 'glide many years ago and reverse went. It was a piece called "reverse band anchor" that broke. You are correct, it had to come apart to get to it. On that car it was an open driveline, but the trannies are mostly alike except for that.

Best wishes,
    Ray

3. what kind of vehicle? sounds like reverse clutches are worn out.

4. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. roddinron

roddinron

Try some trans additive before you take it out, I've had some pretty good luck in the past on old tranny's, especially ones that have sat a while, and if it's only reverse, it's worth a try. Can't actually recommend one though, it's been awhile.

6. My book just goes back to '55, but odds are good that the info is usable.

Check the reverse servo apply pressure; there are two plugs on the driver's side of the case above the side plate, it is the rear-most plug. Check reverse pressure with parking brake applied and vacuum hose disconnected. The pressure should be 50-60 at 425 rpm. This will tell you if there is an internal oil leak. If so then it will have to be torn down.

Pressure being good, then adjust the reverse band. This is a rather wordy process, but I'll boil it down. Access the adjustment by removing the side cover. The actual adjustment is to get the right amount of slack; 5/32" - 7/32".

Hope this helps!