Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 gmc BRAKE QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Jan 18, 2012.

1. having read as many posts on this subject I am still cloudy. this is all new to me.

it started when I went to buy all the parts to renew the 54 Chev passenger car front brakes that I'm running. I decided for a few more bucks I could convert to Discs---Done

I'm running a 9 inch Edsel rear. picked up loaded drums for it then screwed up the new backing plates.----Whoops

there's more, I was given a new power brake unit for the pick-up chassis only took 20 minutes to install, but it is set up for 4 wheel disc ---Cool

here's my questions. I have all these new parts that I didn't spend any cash on (except the disc conversion) I know that I can make the power brake unit work with drum disc or disc disc. but dollar wise which is going to be the best way to go. this is not a show truck it will be a high mile work rig

the other question is brake lines I've been given the choice of two different id's it seems to me the smaller would be more pressure and the larger would be more volume. then logic say that it wouldn't make a difference the amount of fluid pushed in is the amount that comes out the other end.
    I appreciate any help given before I start buying parts. I'm already buried $1978.29 in this truck including the purchase price.

Attached Files:

2. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are correct about the size of the brakes fluid lines......it doesn't make any difference what size they are....other than to facilitate hooking up to the fittings on the M/C and wheel cylinders/caliper hoses.

How did you screw up the backing plates on the rear brakes? Incorrect brake offset for the rear end you are using?

Ray

4. I can't take all the blame wrong bolt pattern and I can't return them

5. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Well, at least you didn't blame it on me this time. :)

6. I didn't know how to spell sinister LOL