Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Ford door help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodapop, May 31, 2005.

1. sodapop

sodapop
    from Tejas

This may be a dumb question, but my driver side door (54 Ford 2 door sedan) sags quite a bit towards the rear. As a result breaking the striker.

I am getting no help from local body guys as to how to fix the probl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Dave

2. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Sounds like you either need to rebuild the hinges or get some better ones. When they get worn out the door will sag at the rear.

3. sodapop

sodapop
    from Tejas

Thanks for the advice. I just assumed they had to be adjusted since I cant seem to find them for sale, and nobody seems to know what Im talking about when I mention rebuilding...

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

Are the hinges worn out? If so replace them.

If the hinges are OK it's just a matter of adjustment.

the bolts that hold the hinge to the cowl are primarily for in & out adjustment. (how the door sits against the rest of the body)

The bolts that hold the hinge to the door for up & down adjustment. Take the door panel off to access these bolts.

I think if your hinges are good you may be able to fix your sag problem by adjusting here (hinge to door). Loosen the bolts, use a block of wood & a floorack to get yourself in the ballpark.

Billy

5. shoebox72

shoebox72

To check your hinges open the door half way & pick up on the back of the door. If the door moves up& down & the rest of the car don't the hinges are shot.

Good used hinges are still out there.

Billy

6. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Grab the back edge of the door...try to lift it. If it lifts easily and seems to have much play in the hinge, it's probably worn out. If it seems pretty solid, maybe you just need to adjust it. You should be able to feel the slop in the hinge if its worn badly.

7. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Umm..what he said. Guess I'm not dast enough.

8. sodapop

sodapop
    from Tejas

Thanks guys, Im going to check now..

9. 1low1954ford

1low1954ford
    from LA

i have had the same problem with mine. new hinges really help but the best thing i have done is took the striker and bear claw off of a ford mavrick!!!!! does not matter what year they are all the same trust me i have 3 ford i have done this too i have a 54 ford customline and 2 54 ford trucks they work great. if you need more info contact me. hope this helps!!!:D