Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Ford Customline daily driver

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Shane Spencer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. 54vicky

54vicky

when you are ready to reinstall column if you loosen clamp at bottom of shaft sleeve you can move it up to fit closer to your new wheel.while it will not fit perfectly it will give you a smaller gap to deal with.

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The bottom end of my column where it meets the box isnt stock. It has had some mods done to it with the power steering conversion. Im planning on eliminating the 3 speed shifter tube and smoothing out the column anyway so no worries.

Those 12 pin connectors look like there just what i need. I need to look up how to wire up connectors like that, im a rookie when it comes to electrical work haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

59Fins likes this.
  3. Nice Job. You might not want that big cover on your door. It's a great place to keep shit, Like a can of beer

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Quick pic of the crossmember welded in and i threw some paint over the welds untill i can get under there and paint everything

IMG_1690.JPG

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Bunch of progress pics

Small classic instruments tach went into the dash between the radio and lighter

IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG

Fixed the dents in the dash speaker cover and drilled a hole for a traffic light guide i had

IMG_1710.JPG IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1713.JPG

Also slapped a coat of paint on the bellhousing

IMG_1715.JPG

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sprayed the heater box and parts satin black

IMG_1716.JPG

Engine torn down

IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1719.JPG

Felpro gasket kit

IMG_1721.JPG

Swapped the front seal in the timing cover

IMG_1723.JPG

Few pics of the pistons after we scrubbed some carbon off. Motor was in great shape. Cylinder walls looked great too

IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Intake manifold sprayed

IMG_1743.JPG

Engine reassembled. Everything went smooth except i put one if the head gaskets on backwards the first time around hahah

IMG_1747.JPG IMG_1751.JPG

Engine sprayed. Couldnt resist slapping the valve covers and a pulley on for a quick look

IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1754.JPG IMG_1755.JPG

8. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Nice engine & kool tachometer!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Well the vht paint i used is flaking off all over the engine. I cleaned the hell out of it too. Pretty pissed off right now. Had no issues on the bellhousing and intake manifold

10. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

It's hard to get all of the oil out of the cast iron even if you have all the parts hot tanked and disassembled. Just resolve yourself to touching up the pealed places every so often. The Eastwood cast iron paint for exhaust manifolds stays on very well with minimal prep. It can be used on headers too but only comes in gray

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I think im going to wire wheel all the flaking stuff off, wire wheel the engine clean, hit it with brake clean and then acetone. I cleaned the engine by hand with degreaser and brake cleaner and then wiped it down with clean rags, but i didnt wire wheel it or acetone it.

12. Man, I'm loving this whole build so far. Nice work!

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Where can a guy get a 10" pressure plate ? I can only seem to find 9 1/2 and 11" ? Got a clutch disc on the way and need get my flywheel resurfaced as well

14. Martino

Martino

Heres my 54 that is being rewired with Rebel Wiring kit also. And a new 292 with a T5 Trans. IMG_20160218_212304.jpg

50 customcoupe and Peanut 1959 like this.
  15. Martino

Martino

Here the 292 ! IMG_20161231_162846281.jpg

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  16. Martino

Martino

The engine bay got cleaned up and painted also IMG_20160820_161317.jpg

17. Martino

Martino

Now as for my dash I made a replica speedo housing to install a tach and speedo. And also retrofit gauges in the dash which will get an engine turned treatment ! IMG_20160525_182541556.jpg

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Martino any tips or any gliches youve come across with the rebel harness?

19. Martino

Martino

So far so good with the harness ! It installed well and has enough wire length to reach any point of the car from where you mount the fuse block. I'm ready to install the engine and trans so I can finish up the wiring installation.
    I also wrapped the exposed wires in an expandable IMG_20160315_201833129.jpg casing in the engine compartment.

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Progress pics

My dash was rusting out from the backside, im assuming from the leaking windshield gasket. Heres a few pics of the damge

IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1783.JPG

So i whipped up some patches and did some tig work. Also made a new lower glovebox flange as that was rusted completely away

IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG

Also shaved the v8 badge above the glovebox

IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG

Some areas were somewhat thin to go crazy with metalfinishing so i got it close enough that a real light coat of filler would take care of any issues. Primed and sanded....

IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1838.JPG IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1837.JPG

The 39 guy and brEad like this.
  21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Started working on the valance panel. Paint was cracking and chipping horribly. Surface rust underneath.....

IMG_1820.JPG

Sanded it all down with 80 grit, worked my way back up and started some coats of filler primer

IMG_1843.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1842.JPG IMG_1836.JPG

Threw on some paint this is just a quick rattle bomb fix. The first color sprayed WAYYYY lighter than the cap indicated and also turned a marroonish red after it tried. Ughhhh

IMG_1847.JPG

Second color i tried turned out much better. Still not a dead match but close enough for a panel thats hidden beneath the grill

IMG_1853.jpg

brEad likes this.
  22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Can someone give me some help on lower control arm studs. I need 2 of the big bolts that ran through the stock front crossmember. Question, early ford store has a kit for a pair of bolts that will do one control arm. Are the front and rear bolts on the lower control arm the same size ? If so ill just buy one kit and use both bolts to replace the ones in the front crossmember. I already have a front end rebuild kit with all the bushings so no worries there

23. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

We used the retrosound in mom's 58 impala. I know it is spendy, but it fits perfect, sounds badass, runs everything with enough power to start with plus still has rca outs. Definitely a nice unit. was wort the 549.00

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '54 Ford Customline Coupe is a conversion from a Mainline! Hated the body with no chrome side trim...
    Taking some lessons from your extremely thorough rebuild...(car, not engine) Mine has a nice 406, with a heavy duty close ratio 3 speed. That just may change, as I also have a Mustang 5 speed.
    Great thread here, thanks for all the inclusion of pics and operations. Inspiring, (I've done it before, but years back...I've had 11 of these cars, all '54 Coupes.) not enough of these great Fords are being done.
    They handle like Nascar, (early!) and can run and perform excellent.
    And they're NOT Chevies.

RidgeRunner likes this.
  25. Enjoying the progress you're making. There is a '52-'54 Ford in my future for sure, these cars are great, not too big, not too small.

26. Martino

Martino

Your 54 is coming along really good !!!!

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good looking car and you're doing some nice work! Perfect driver, especially with the T5 swap.

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Started work on a custom stainless grille. Heres the stocker

IMG_1868.JPG

Got rid of the bumperettes and went to work on the new grill. Mockup of the main bar

IMG_1885.JPG

Angle matches the hood edge well

IMG_1884.JPG

Didnt get too many good pics of the hidden mounts but heres a few screenshots from a video. Made these from stainless and welded them to the back side of the main bar. They bolt down through the valance. Heres the bracket cut...........

IMG_1902.jpg

Bent and tig welded

IMG_1896.jpg

Made a mount for the middle of the bar that mounts to the stock center valance brace. Here it is cut.......

IMG_1903.jpg

Bent a tig welded

IMG_1905.jpg

The bracket is upside down in this pic. The front edge is welded to the bar and the boxed section bolts to the brace. Heres a look with everything bolted up

IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG

Grill turned out nice and clean. This will be buffed out and all the mounting brackets painted black on the backside even though there not visible anyway.

I got rid of the 3 speed shift tube, filled the hole in the back of the cup on the column, filled the hole in the column drop and started metal finishing it. Still have some more work to do on this tomorrow but heres some pics

IMG_1913.JPG IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1917.JPG

Icufltrn likes this.